Problem with MD5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with MD5

Not sure if this might be a bug but I have problem with storing passwords. Here is what happens.
    1. Created standart security procedure (using Login App). When creating I selected MD5 for password encryption. When the Apps were generated the first ADMIN account was created and 1-st record created properly.
    2. When I login to the project and select ADD NEW USER (which calls standard SC-NewUser App) the user is saved but the MD5 is not working.
    3. When I open the table (inPHPMyAdmin) I see the password is not encrypted (so of course Login with those credentials will never work).

HTML Code:
    if({pswd} != {confirm_pswd})
    {
    	sc_error_message({lang_error_pswd});
    	sc_error_exit();
    }
    {pswd} = md5({pswd});
    My table has some extra columns added, but all columns were added after the original ones (SC generated) so when calling for recordset array there should be no problems.
    Any ideas what I might be doing wrong ?

BTW. When I remove MD5 hashing everything works fine.

Arthur
    Last edited by aka; 03-24-2015, 03:14 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Arthur Klisiewicz
    dATA POINT SOFTWARE
    www.datapointsoftware.com

you've answered where you start to look

My table has some extra columns added, but all columns were added after the original ones (SC generated)
    because never faced this, and the encryption is done okay, you can find the hashing inside the application itself, I already updated it for some reason earlier and it worked ok, including choosing the hashing and the password length, characters to be used...etc.

Comment

MikeDE - thanks for replying but I do not understand your statement. When I look in the code the last line in the first post here uses a method to apply MD5 to the {pswd field} so it is salted.
      The rest is obvious, just saving the record. It seems that this line is causing a problem no converting it to hashes, but I have no idea why. The fact that I added few extra fields to the Users table seems to be completely irrelevant (or am I wrong) ?

Arthur
      Arthur Klisiewicz
      dATA POINT SOFTWARE

Comment

Hello aka:

Take a look to your new user form, in the beforeinsert event, there should be a instruction like:

PHP Code:
        {pwd} = md5( {pwd} ); 
        if not then you should review the code, secondly i would recommend to enable the debugging in SC enabling the script error aswell,so you can make sure if there's no error.

lastly, verify the source code of the applications, and check if you have a "error_log" file, if so, check the content of the file it might tell you whats going on.

Regards

Comment

kafecadm - thanks for your suggestions!

Yes I see this line in the code (when creating new user) and that is why I'm posting this message. The line is there but MD5 is not working !
          Will try your debugging suggestion to see what's wrong (although my totally surprised because this is standard generated App (no extra code or anything except few extra columns in a table which should not affect MD5 php function at all).

Art
          Arthur Klisiewicz
          dATA POINT SOFTWARE

Comment

OK, The account creation form works fine, so when I add new user the MD5 works OK. I just created another form and included password field on the form.
            I added a line in Events (onBeforeInsert)

HTML Code:
            {pswd} = md5({pswd});
            but the password is saved in unencrypted form. Any ideas ?

Arthur
            Arthur Klisiewicz
            dATA POINT SOFTWARE

Comment

Originally posted by aka View Post
              OK, The account creation form works fine, so when I add new user the MD5 works OK. I just created another form and included password field on the form.
              I added a line in Events (onBeforeInsert)

HTML Code:
              {pswd} = md5({pswd});
              but the password is saved in unencrypted form. Any ideas ?

Arthur
              It should work ok as a first reaction so it's odd that it doesn't. You could try to echo the data to see what's going on. In general I would do this in the onvalidate as the MD5 should also fire on update.
              Albert Drent
              aducom software netherlands
              scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
              www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

This bug I found a long time ago.

In the onBeforeInsert, everything will work fine, because the {pswd} contains the UNENCRYPED password, since it is a NEW record.

When editing an existing record, the md5() should be done if the password was modified.

Just throwing an md5() into the onValidate is not the answer. It needs to happen ONLY when the password field has been modified. Otherwise it will md5() the already encrypted password, for instance if your only edit is changing groups, etc.

Dave
                Last edited by daveprue; 03-07-2015, 04:14 AM.
                Dave Prue
                Code Whisperer
                Lahar International Corp
                www.lahar.net

Comment

Originally posted by daveprue View Post
                  This bug I found a long time ago.

In the onBeforeInsert, everything will work fine, because the {pswd} contains the UNENCRYPED password, since it is a NEW record.

When editing an existing record, the md5() should be done if the password was modified.

Just throwing an md5() into the onValidate is not the answer. It needs to happen ONLY when the password field has been modified. Otherwise it will md5() the already encrypted password, for instance if your only edit is changing groups, etc.

Dave
                  hi Dave
                  did you find solution for that?

Comment

Mike,

Yes, I did but I cannot remember exactly what it was. I no longer use the ScriptCase Security Module, and I do not have the old code readily available to see what I did.

I will take a look at the current Scriptcase Security Module and see if I can remember where that bug was.

Dave
                    Dave Prue
                    Code Whisperer
                    Lahar International Corp
                    www.lahar.net

Comment

Thanks in advanced dude, its daily used by others, many can't develop something independent like you do so we depend on security module so please let us know if any solution you could manage or remember how it was

Comment

Yes it would be great if you could post more details, so perhaps this can be also reported to NetMake so they can fix it in a next release. I think this is really crucial !
                        Arthur Klisiewicz
                        dATA POINT SOFTWARE

Comment

Hi,
                          tryed some test and here are my observations:
                          -1- Trying to put the app_form_add_users in debug mode : doesn't work
                          -2- trying to put some message in the events (onBeforeInsert for example) : they are never launch it seems that these events are never launch.
                          -3- Trying to define my own ajax events: doesn't work......

Only thing I have done on the standart security module and application: add a new column at the end of the sec_user table...

Ouh la la ......... What a nightmare.......

Comment

YES, this same thing happens to me. Once the original table is modified everything gets screwed up.
                            I tried to add some code into Events and it seems like it is never executed !

Any modifications also cause SC to crash (see the image)

SEC_Bugs.jpg

[NOW - WHAT NETMAKE WILL DO DO ABOUT IT ?
                            Last edited by aka; 03-24-2015, 03:12 PM.
                            Arthur Klisiewicz
                            dATA POINT SOFTWARE

Comment

aka,

crying so loud will not save the problem !!

BTW i never had this problem and i added fields in my user table after the first creation as my customer wants more fields.

What i did to prevent the md5 problem was, that in the edit mode, the user password could not be changed, i made a new form only for password updates.

Gerd

Comment

Working...
                              X