Please help clear up difference between using global, session variables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help clear up difference between using global, session variables

Hi. I understand and have obviously used variables in other apps stored in the session cookie. I have also passed values with PUT and GET in the URL. Here is my slight confusion in SC:

Say I am in the control_login app, in the validation event. I want to save some values for later use in other apps.
    $glo_test = "hello";
    sc_set_global($glo_test);

The above does not allow me to reference the [glo_test] in other apps. What does the sc_set_global do?

So instead I do the following:
    $glo_test = "hello";
    [glo_test] = $glo_test;
    //sc_set_global($glo_test);

Now I can go to the Application - Global Variables - and I now see the glo_test used in the event. I just set it to SESSION and make it OUT. Then it is available as [glo_test] in other apps.

Other variables:
    $test // is just a regular variable in my php in one particular event, correct?

{test} // is a variable that spans across multiple events ONLY in the same application, correct?

I am just really confused what that sc_set_global macro is for...

Thanks,
    Jamie

Re: Please help clear up difference between using global, session variables

IIRC, as it has been a long time ....

sc_set_global creates a SESSION var that is under $_SESSION['scriptcase']['var'], as does [global_var]
    I think {var} creates a SESSION var that is $_SESSION['scriptcase']['app']['var']
    $var follows PHP rules.

It can get more detailed than this, but you get the general idea.

At the end of the day, SC uses SESSION more that you think ... so it is best to create your own and have full control of where you are.

If you load your app and then go back to the SC IDE and load VIEW/Data In Session in the menu, you will see how things are allocated.

Regards,
    Scott.

Comment

Thanks Scott, you made my day. I didn't know they had that view tool for session data. Very cool.
      They need to pay you to rewrite help manual - or a quick start for programmers :-)
      Jamie

Comment

rewrite help manual
        My first move would be to use a real help app like Help+Manual (http://www.ec-software.com/). There is none better for creating help files.
        They really need to quit using their own solution, as it is simply terrible.

Regards,
        Scott.

Comment

Working...
        X