Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best hardware / operating system / network ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hardware / operating system / network ?

Hi,

I develop scriptcase application on my webserver that is located in a datacenter outside my office.

Everything works fine. Waiting times are a bit long. Scriptcase speeds up development time so I have no complaints. But I would like to reduce the last waiting moments.

What's the best possible hardware/os/network combination to shorten the delays in generating applications?

- Windows/Linux?
    - Browser and scriptcase on same machine?
    - Local network different pc's for browser and scriptcase?
    - Huge processor for scriptcase so the generation of an application will be faster?

What are your experiences regarding generation speed of applications?

'Man is a Tool Making Animal' ("Benjamin Franklin&quot

Re: Best hardware / operating system / network ?

Here are my suggestions:

For the hosting server: Make sure that the host is not hosting thousands of sites on a server.
    http://www.domaintools.com/reverse-ip/

I have seen Godaddy in excess of 10,000 sites on a server. It was taking 30 sec to 2 min to serve a page. Hardware is so cheap these days, a dedicated server very easy to setup.

As for your question on development PC, here is my setup:

I prefer Linux. After 25 years in Windows, I was tired of same problems. I have friends that love Win7, so who knows. This is preference.
    FireFox using Firebug plugin for debugging. None better.
    I have my LAMP server (not LLAMP) and SC on my main PC, it runs fine.
    My PC is an I7 with 16 gig RAM, dual 9600. I am running am64 Linux (needed for > 4 gig RAM)
    I have Windows in a VirtualBox for the days I need it.

This is a great setup for me. I have used this for just over a year now.

After my upgrade to 5.1, I once compiled my 80 app project in 45 seconds. Single apps are usually compiled in 1-3 seconds.

Regards,
    Scott.

Comment

Thanks Scott,

So you develop on your local machine with Linux. Generation time is fast indeed.

What Linux do you use? ubuntu?

Regards,

Martin

'Man is a Tool Making Animal' ("Benjamin Franklin&quot

Comment

Yes, I have Ubuntu 9.10 amd64. I used to use Fedora, but I started telling new users about the ease of Ubuntu and I installed it so I could help support them and I really liked the DEB package manager more than RPM.

I thought about a dedicated PC, but with this speed why increase my electric bill even more. I am stumbling over PC's as is.

Once 5.3 is _fully_ supported, I will jump to 10.x (those d*mn zend developers need to get the led out. I guess 5.3 snuck up on their *ss)

I forgot to mention, dual monitors at least ... that just makes me work faster, not the computer <bg>

Regards,
        Scott.

Comment

Thanks, this will save me time.
          &#39;Man is a Tool Making Animal&#39; (&quot;Benjamin Franklin&quot

Comment

I installed Scriptcase on windows 7 and didn't noticed performance improvements. So I keep on developing remotely through internet.

- Chrome browser very fast on Ajax.
            - Scriptcase 5 installed on Linux webserver
            - Cabled connection to internet (21 ms download, 1,16 ms upload )

I'am satisfied with the performance now.

Any further suggestions to improve the performance are welcome off course.

Regards,
            Martin

Comment

I believe your next option would be to look at alternate Apache server options that process PHP faster and use events vs threads and provide better memory management.

-lighttpd
              -litespeed
              -nginx
              -Zues

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/04/17/...peed-and-zeus/
              http://turnkeye.com/blog/2010/04/ngi...-test-magento/

There are plenty of posts regarding these Apache forks.

Regards,
              Scott.

Comment

For better performance we are using debian with litespeed.
                ScriptCase dont use lots of memory, processor is more important on cgi application.

Others hosting that we indicate is www.taghost.com.br ... is pretty fast.

Comment

I noticed that application generation time goes up when using more fields on a form.

I moved scriptcase to a virtualbox under windows7 (ubuntu 9.04). The machine has a powerfull Processor. Besides that it runs on my own network. It indeed uses not much memory I noticed in "top".

The processor peeks when generating an application with lot of fields.

The nice thing about the virtualbox is that I can take snapshots before messing up the installation :-).

Best regards.
                  Martin

Comment

Working...
                  X