How To Embed an Application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Embed an Application

At the moment, I use iFrames to embed my applications onto my webpage. Problem is, it doesn't always look very good. I was wondering if anyone's got an effective alternative solution. How could I place a grid/form ON one of my pages (so it's actually part of the page)?

Seems like an obvious thing but I've struggled to do it thus far.

Thanks.

The only way I can think of is to build a theme just like your weblayout and jump to your application. Otherwise I don't see a better solution than the IFrames. I do the same thing within the CMS I'm working in. It's not nice, but there are rendering differences between the different browsers. I use a 'null' theme, where I have no header/footer so that I only have the rudimental pages with the correct colours, then use it in an IFrame without border/scrollbar at a 100% width/height ratio.
    Albert Drent
    aducom software netherlands
    scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
    www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

There must be a way though of getting an individual grid (for example) onto a normal page though. I haven't figured it out myself.

I looked on the PHPRunner site and it says there that 'PHPRunner lets you seamlessly integrate the web applications you build into your existing website. You will be able to closely match the look and feel of all of your pages.' So is this possible in ScriptCase?

Comment

using header and footer

Hi guys, Just some thoughts here. Been using SC v6 since it came out. How about not thinking of it as embedding the SC grid into another site, instead, take elemenst of the other site and tack them onto the grid app. Here is how it could play out:

Look at the code your site has for its header and footer. This could also include a main menu or whatever elements of your site that are there, even if you create a empty page of some kind. I am thinking here of the parts of the php code (templates,functions, etc) on a WordPress site. Anyway, create two global vars in your SC app, call one [newheader] and [newfooter]. Use those display the required code from your CMS site on your header and footer in SC Grid app.

I have done some of this, and it is amazing what you can get away with. You would then have a 'page' that would combine the look and feel of your CMS, but have the SC Grid. You could customize the CSS for the Grid to make it look just like the CMS. I have no doubt of that. Use firebug to CSS of the CMS and then add that CSS code as an echo in the initialization event of your grid app.

You would have to get your CMS to use that page, as part of its menu or however you navigate to the grid info. No extra iframes

Anyway, hope that helps with the discussion. I will follow this thread, as it is of interest for me as well.
        Jamie

PS - of course the DB for the two systems is probably remaining as 2 separate DBs. It would be possible to integrate them pretty easily, if they are both MYSQL for instance. You would have to play with the authentication a bit, which i would probably do some custom code when the app loads, testing the same way the overall CMS checks for authenticated user. If it is public you are golden as is.

Originally posted by supermessiah View Post
        There must be a way though of getting an individual grid (for example) onto a normal page though. I haven't figured it out myself.

I looked on the PHPRunner site and it says there that 'PHPRunner lets you seamlessly integrate the web applications you build into your existing website. You will be able to closely match the look and feel of all of your pages.' So is this possible in ScriptCase?
        Last edited by onmountain; 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your response. It's funny how it's not as easy as you might expect to get the application on an existing page of your website. With a grid, you would expect to be able to take the sole grid and put it on your webpage, but it seems that the background forms part of the code. I will try that idea you said though of using the page the application is on and adding a header and footer to that. I hate iFrames. It does the job, but it doesn't look very professional. I'm trying to concentrate on the functionality of my project I'm doing, rather than aesthetics. So I'll continue to use iFrames for now, but not in the long term.

Comment

Working...
          X