Deploment Overhead-WOW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploment Overhead-WOW

Successfully uploaded 1-grid with 1-form to production server; both extremely simple ("test") applications. [ I wanted to test the deployment scenario using deployment to a directory below the root directory.] Using the deploy wizard, I created a zipped file that was stored on my local drive. Then used Filezilla to upload contents of the SC zipped package.

WOW!! - for just two apps almost 5,000 files were uploaded to the production server, including numerous images, library files, and other applications (TinyMice=huge!!) that are not used or called by the uploaded grid or associated form applications - as far as I can tell.

Have I missed some checkbox? Yes - I recognize that I had selected to upload associated lib/css/img/etc as this was the initial deployment; however, why would I need every language file, TinyMice, and a whole lot more to be uploaded to the production server? Seems like SC uploads EVERYTHING that might ever be needed and NOT just the REQUIRED files - as determined by use/call in the developed applications.

Any alternative to the above experience? I'm thinking now to deploy to a local production server and test/re-test the apps after sequentially deleting unnecessary folders, files, libraries, images, etc. prior to real-time production deployment, but, also thinking there has got to be a better way.

It's normal ... You upload one time the whole stuff and after that only the new or changed apps.

And, don't upload 5.000 files ... Create a zip-package, upload this and extract on the production machine.
    Best regards: - Reinhard -

I use ScriptCase 8 Enterprise Edition, Version 8.(latest)

Comment

Not only tinyMCE is big, look at HTMLtoPDF. But never the less, do it RHS way.
      Albert Drent
      aducom software netherlands
      scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
      www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

So...even simple apps require the entire scriptcase universe of lib files, called-apps, & images? Ugh - heavy!
        Might I suggest then (probably already has been) that there be a way to generate / host multiple projects (each of several apps) that can use / point to a single common library rather than upload the entire library to the same domain multiple times.

Otherwise - guess I would be back to the manual method (trial & error) to discover "if not used - then remove" scenario...to economize server storage...

Comment

AFAIK you can upload your application without the libs into the same directory structure to allow the reuse of libs. However, you must be sure you haven't got two filenames identical as SC will create a subdir for each application (as they call it). What I do if I need this is create only one project and create subdirectories for all of my projects. If you generate it will all become under the root, but you prevent that you get duplicate filenames. It's not ideal, but it works.
          Albert Drent

Comment

Originally posted by DwnTwn View Post
            So...even simple apps require the entire scriptcase universe of lib files, called-apps, & images?
            No, it is not required ... but why bother about the few MBytes? There are more important things that need to be made ​​at NetMake ...

Comment

Originally posted by RHS View Post
              No, it is not required ... but why bother about the few MBytes? There are more important things that need to be made ​​at NetMake ...
              It bothers because on commercial hosting parties it matters. It's not a few MB but a little bit more (a huge amount more). For me it's not an issue because I run it on my own server. But not everybody has that luxury. I agree on the second part though.
              Albert Drent

Comment

Originally posted by aducom View Post
                But not everybody has that luxury.
                Luxury for (...) is cheap ... and has 10 GB (!) of webspace.
                Last edited by aducom; 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RHS View Post
                  Luxury for EUR 1.99 / month is cheap ... and has 10 GB (!) of webspace.
                  Maybe this is better...)
                  And have plan specific to scriptcase. I tested one month for free, using the coupon (...)
                  No adds on this forum please.
                  Last edited by aducom; 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X