Using jScriptcase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using jScriptcase

I wonder if anybody was successful using jScriptcase (Joomla component for SC). I have an older version and it works only with simple Apps (i.e grid/form). Everything else fails. There are all kinds of unexpected effects. Since I bought the license withing 1.5 year it was only one upgrade.

I would like to know if anybody else has worked with the latest version, and if it is worth an update. I don't want to end up spending extra $ to renew a license just to find out that old bugs have not been fixed. I would appreciate any comments.
    -----------------------------------------
    Arthur Klisiewicz
    dATA POINT SOFTWARE
    www.datapointsoftware.com

You don't need... use iFrames to embed SC content to Joomla ( http://www.tsaeurope.com/index.php/tutti )
    Giorgio Bravi
    Dolphin Software & Thinkware
    www.dolphin.it

Comment

no iFrames does only work with very simple stuff. There are also limitations of using it (ie. the frame size, back links etc.) I tried iFrames but I wasn't very successful using it, especially because of the problems with linking pages/forms/menus etc. Of course all links could be changed manually in the code, but then it makes no sense to use generator like SC.

Arthur
      -----------------------------------------
      Arthur Klisiewicz
      dATA POINT SOFTWARE
      www.datapointsoftware.com

Comment

This topic is of interest to me as well because I am considering using SC to write a specialized application that would benefit from being wrapped inside Joomla.

But from reading it seems that jscriptcase hasn't kept pace and its support is below reasonable expectations, and any other way would create too much work.

So, is the common opinion that it would be best to do everything in Scriptcase from the outset?

Thanks
        The GuiGuy
        ... from Down Under

Comment

I work with E107 but the principle will be the same I guess. There's a standard plugin which allows to run foreign stuff in an IFrame. Within the IFrame you can apply an URL to start an application, i.e. a Scriptcase application. This application needs to be able to check if the user is correctly logged on to E107 (or Joomla) So you need to pass variables from the cms to SC which can be done in the url like: myapp.php?myparm=a&otherparm=b etc. Within these variables you need to pass all you need from the CMS to SC. Within SC you can pickup these vars with $_GET and i.e. check the logon by searching this on the cms tables using the passed uid/pwd. It's not much work, it's business as useual. For SC the database of the CMS which is also in the same database environment as the SC application, is simply accessable. Now how to get the correct vars from the CMS? You need to find out which php globals are used for that. Don't know Joomla, but in E107 it's not that difficult. As SC will run in it's own space you cannot share the session pool easily. Personally I modified the standard IFrame plugin from E107 a little to pass the vars, so I can reuse it whenever I need. I think it wouldn't be too hard to do something similar with the plugin in Joomla. I'm not sure why this doesn't work for AKA, but I do pretty complex stuff with SC embedded in a E107 CMS this way.
          Albert Drent
          aducom software netherlands
          scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
          www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Originally posted by aka View Post
            I would like to know if anybody else has worked with the latest version, and if it is worth an update.
            I'm currently using Joomla 3.2 with the latest version of JScriptcase (3). I have an outstanding support ticket with JScriptcase for an issue which occurs when I use a toolbar button such as "Group By" with a grid application. If I change the Group By parameters and then try to reload the grid, the page hangs because the URL the command is routing to is wrong (it's leaving off the Joomla directory architecture.) Support with JScriptcase is very slow so far but they seem to want to fix the issue. Other than this (and it happens with just about any toolbar button where the page needs to reload with new parameters. filtering, etc.) I've had pretty good luck with the extension so far. I'll let you know when and if this bug is fixed. If it's not fixed, I wouldn't recommend the upgrade.

Oh, I haven't even begun to try to mix the Joomla user authentication with Scriptcase via the JScriptcase plug-ins. That could be full of bugs, too. We'll have to see...

Comment

I heard back from JScriptcase support (finally) and was told they don't "support column selection, sorting and grouping on grids." How's that for support?
              I can't recommend this extension.

Comment

I have to update my comments as I was contacted by Ilerian (developer of JScriptcase) and Kurtulus made sure my issue was corrected. In the process, I learned I was not deploying my applications correctly (failed to configure paths) however the issue turned out to be the new AJAX grid feature in Scriptcase 7.1. Once we disabled that, the toolbar buttons worked fine within the Joomla! architecture.

Considering he is half-way around the world from me, the support was handled quickly and efficiently.

He will add the fact that his extension doesn't support the AJAX feature (yet). I can definitely recommend this as a solution to work with Scriptcase applications within Joomla!

Comment

Originally posted by rjjacob View Post
                  He will add the fact that his extension doesn't support the AJAX feature (yet). I can definitely recommend this as a solution to work with Scriptcase applications within Joomla!
                  To be clear, you are recommending it despite the crippling of desirable grid functionality?
                  The GuiGuy
                  ... from Down Under

Comment

I'm not finding that to be the case. The grids function just fine.

Comment

I have had a hell of a time trying to get the Jscriptcase thing to do anything. So, are some of you saying that it actually works? Maybe there's a magic formula I am missing :-)

However, the biggest worry seems to be that it sends un-encrypted passwords. Or am I being paranoid?

Cheers.
                      The GuiGuy
                      ... from Down Under

Comment

Working...
                      X