Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refugee with a question

Hello,

I have been a CodeCharge (CC) user for a lonnnnnnng time and now need to move on. I did my SC trial some time ago and got the news that there's a 30% discount on 29th.

One thing I remember that gave me cause for concern was the HUGE size of the zip when uploading even the smallest of updates. This is completely different to CC where all you needed to upload at times were three php files just for the page you were updating.

Is there any work around in SC?
    Is it still the same in SC?
    Does it cause you a problem?

Maybe I need to change my way of working and do all my development/testing locally and only upload when an app is finished.

Any help would be appreciated (hopefully before the 29th is over )

Any work... you mean updates. Yes there are updates on a (very) regular basis.
    First the size of the first upload is huge due to the full library which is uploaded. If you don't need that and you know what libs are not used, you can decrease the size
    second, the size doesn't bother me, after the initial upload you just upload the changed files
    deployment: I develop and test my app under SC, then I deploy locally on my engine into a wamp installation and test. If that succeeds I upload to production server.

hope this helps.
    Albert Drent
    aducom software netherlands
    scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
    www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Originally posted by aducom View Post
      Any work... you mean updates.
      Sorry, I mean when I make an update to a page in my application (this is CC speak. I think SC calls a page an application).

For example I have a live working application that my customer is using. He asks for a small change for example in a form. I complete the change, test it and then upload three .php files to his working site. Depending on the size of the .php files which combined are anything from 50kb to 120kb. Very small, very quick to upload.

Can you give me an idea of the above scenario in SC please?

Comment

Originally posted by Garfieldus View Post
        Can you give me an idea of the above scenario in SC please?
        You made the change to your app and deploy ("copy") only the changed app (5-10 .php files in one .zip file). Then upload the .zip file to customers server and extract it. Thats my way ...

You can also do, what Albert do (deploy / test in local environment) und then upload only the changed files from the test site to customers server.
        Best regards: - Reinhard -

I use ScriptCase 8 Enterprise Edition, Version 8.(latest)

Comment

@aducom and @RHS

Thank you for the help. I bought Scriptcase (php).

Wish me luck

Comment

Originally posted by Garfieldus View Post
            @aducom and @RHS

Thank you for the help. I bought Scriptcase (php).

Wish me luck
            I wish you luck ;-)
            (I don't think you need it)
            Albert Drent
            aducom software netherlands
            scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
            www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Originally posted by aducom View Post
              I wish you luck ;-)
              (I don't think you need it)
              Thank you!

I have created a grid. Have it working locally with a remote MySQL db. Everything fine so far.

I created a production zip, uploaded it, unzipped it, tried to run it and got this (I have Xed the link below)....

Connections Create
              The database connection that your application use was not found. You need to access the production environment and create the connection.

Connections not found: xxxxxxxxxx

Click here to create the connections now.
              For starters the connection shouldn't be any different between development and production because I'm uploading to the same server that MySQL is on but no matter how often I change it and then try to run the app I am still asked to create the connection.

What am I missing?

Comment

Garfieldus,

The most likely problem is that the server does not have write permission to the the _lib/conf directory. Scriptcase really should check this before it even asks you to change the connection.

You can run _lib/diagnosis.php to see what errors are reported.

It asks for new connection information because it assumes that you develop on one system, and run production on another. Or you have a develpment database and a production database.

Please only give the server write permission temporarily while you configure it. Otherwise you should be careful about granting extra permissions in a production environment.

Comment

Originally posted by vrtisworks View Post
                  Garfieldus,

The most likely problem is that the server does not have write permission to the the _lib/conf directory.
                  vrtisworks,

That was indeed the problem. Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X