This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dumb question...

with so many tools available with wysiwg why doesn't sc offer it? I have a product called wysiwyg web builder, an excellent product IMHO (and around $40). Why couldn't they incorporate this functionality?

Ok, so here is my question: I haven't tried this but could I generate the form, grid, etc.. then import it into wysiwyg web builder and do the
    layout. The main problem is that the layouts are not user appealing. Especially when trying to set up formatting on child grids on tabs. Nothing seems to line up correctly.
    Or a form that has MANY fields that are just not displayed visually correct. AND I know I haven't tried it yet, just wanting to get an opinion whether or not its a good idea.

Not complaining here, just trying to find a solution without going into the code and manually updating code. I think sc does a fine job on "handling" the data part, it has a lot of features that I'm use to that are incorporated in MUCH more expensive products. BUT the visual aspect/options are lacking IMO.

I've been programming for over 30 years, and one thing I've learned is the user cares more about the sizzle than the steak. SC = the steak, I just need the sizzle.

TIA....
    Pappy
    Skype Id: www.papsoft.com

It's a *very* bad idea. The concept of SC is that it will generate the screens for you. You have influence about the design, but limited. If that is not suitable you need to search for other products. On each and every generation of your application SC will redo your form so exporting it to get it modified and importing is not going to work. To my experience a lot is going on in html world. I don't see the wysiwyg principle stay for long. Floating design will be more and more important and if you look at libraries as bootstrap you will see that wysiwyg simply will not work if you have to design for several platforms. It's a design issue, and I could write pages full of arguments and perhaps not everybody agrees. But in general SC is a productive tool if you use it by it's strength The capabilities of generating and layouting forms is a major thing in that context. Going to fully end-user design would for sure slowdown this process. But I agree that it would be great to have some more options for generating forms.

btw, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. So I hope ... ;-)
    Albert Drent
    aducom software netherlands
    scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
    www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

I'm looking at it from this perspective....

I've got my database squared away, I've normalized it to be efficient, then I've de-normalized it to work. I've got all of my screens (forms), browses (grids), and all of my data flowing like it should. Will their be changes? Of course. But if I take what's been created and move it to a more visually functional platform, I would like to do so. Even if there is more work to be done in the end of things.

Will wysiwyg go away? I respectfully disagree that it will not. MORE & MORE MAJOR software builders are using wysiwyg to create everything from data modeling to source code.
      Thats why more and more manufacturers are creating different products for different platforms. I could care less about about mobile platforms, I know many people do though. I've dealt with 1-4gl lanuguages for ALONG time now (late 80's). I've seen the best come and go on pc, midrange, and mainframes.

Basically SC is the tool of my choice right now. Whether or not it can (or will be) improved is a matter of them doing something. I can live with what I've got, but I see much more for them if they are willing to put in the effort. Screen layout/look sells clients period. There is no argument with that. Functionality sells programmers. We need them both.

Thanks for your input as always...
      Pappy

Originally posted by aducom View Post
      It's a *very* bad idea. The concept of SC is that it will generate the screens for you. You have influence about the design, but limited. If that is not suitable you need to search for other products. On each and every generation of your application SC will redo your form so exporting it to get it modified and importing is not going to work. To my experience a lot is going on in html world. I don't see the wysiwyg principle stay for long. Floating design will be more and more important and if you look at libraries as bootstrap you will see that wysiwyg simply will not work if you have to design for several platforms. It's a design issue, and I could write pages full of arguments and perhaps not everybody agrees. But in general SC is a productive tool if you use it by it's strength The capabilities of generating and layouting forms is a major thing in that context. Going to fully end-user design would for sure slowdown this process. But I agree that it would be great to have some more options for generating forms.

btw, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. So I hope ... ;-)

Comment

Didn't want to offend you. If you look at very popular libs like bootstrap and other responsive design tools moving to html5 you will see that using responsive design is a real challenge for wysiwyg builders. Wysiwyg for me means that you can move all your fields around to the spot you want them, which is a different approach to i.e. bootstrap is using. The physical presentation will be depending on the device the form will be presented to and if you use wysiwyg the way I see it will be very difficult to maintain unless you are in control of the devices it will be presented on including the resolution settings. I'm sure there will be some kind of painting tools available but I'm pretty convinced that it will be quite different then a lot of people are used to now. You cannot have all devices to see what's going on. If a screen is too small it simply needs to shift the field behind to below etc. So your design cannot depend on fixed positions etc. Within blocks there might be some room for painting so completely go away, probabely not. But screendesign is certainly changing and that process is going on a while now.

Of course you can accept that you form is fixed and will be viewable by scrolling it around. But I find it a sign on the walll that browsers like Safari and IE10 already having difficulties (bug) showing scrollbars. And perhaps you can create a wysiwyg like tool for formatting the way a tool like bootstrap does. I'm from the old ages too and am used to Delphi like design tools. But I quit their php stuff which is completely working like Delphi did with screen positions etc. But it's a completely different product with a completely different approach.

But our vision differs, and that's ok.
        Last edited by aducom; 03-09-2014, 06:21 AM.
        Albert Drent
        aducom software netherlands
        scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
        www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Albert... no offence taken.. I'm just use to a visual design layout. It just gets frustrating when a client looks at a prototype of a Clarion or the wywsiwyg webuilder8 app and says
          "why can't it look like that?" it gets frustrating. Either way I responded to another person who had the same issues I had and I saw your reply. Thanks for your wisdom and help in this
          programmer's journey into the SC world.
          Pappy

Comment

Originally posted by pappy View Post
            with so many tools available with wysiwg why doesn't sc offer it? I have a product called wysiwyg web builder, an excellent product IMHO (and around $40). Why couldn't they incorporate this functionality?

Ok, so here is my question: I haven't tried this but could I generate the form, grid, etc.. then import it into wysiwyg web builder and do the
            layout. The main problem is that the layouts are not user appealing. Especially when trying to set up formatting on child grids on tabs. Nothing seems to line up correctly.
            Or a form that has MANY fields that are just not displayed visually correct. AND I know I haven't tried it yet, just wanting to get an opinion whether or not its a good idea.

Not complaining here, just trying to find a solution without going into the code and manually updating code. I think sc does a fine job on "handling" the data part, it has a lot of features that I'm use to that are incorporated in MUCH more expensive products. BUT the visual aspect/options are lacking IMO.

I've been programming for over 30 years, and one thing I've learned is the user cares more about the sizzle than the steak. SC = the steak, I just need the sizzle.

TIA....
            Pappy
            I have tried wysing web builder and found it can be implemented with scriptcase easily

Comment

Please, don't necropost.

Close.
              /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
              Some Customers opinions

Comment

Working...
              X