No announcement yet.

How do I create simple Y or N table field using a checkbox?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I create simple Y or N table field using a checkbox?

I have looked in the examples and also the documentation but nowhere can I find how to do what I think is a simple operation.

I have a table with a number of varchar(1) columns where the character Y means yes and N means no. Using a mask and values format I can force the user to enter Y or N but, the use of a checkbox is a lot nicer looking.

I have created a checkbox type field but it is not obvious how I make it insert Y when checked and N when unchecked. I had assumed that I could use the manual lookup method with a simple list but nowhere can I find good documentation on how this works.

Can someone who has done something like this please help?

David Goadby, North Wales
    David Goadby, North Wales.

The most clear way would be to use a radio button. That can have two states, yes and no. Set the lookup to manual and apply yes Y and no N.

With a checkbox you have two states, checked and unknown. So you can apply one item in the manual lookup yes for Y. Then it will have a Y but the N could be a space. Not sure.
    Albert Drent
    aducom software netherlands
    scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development /

Ok, I tried it and that works. In other RAD's I have used the checkbox can be given two values according to the state. A single radio button will do as well.

UPDATE: Feeling flushed with success I decided to have a closer look at my original Y/N checkbox problem and I found a solution that stores "Y" when checked and "N" when unchecked.

This is it: In the Fields Configuration (or General Settings for the field in question) I set the default value for both Insert and Update to N. Then in the General Settings for this field I set the Lookup Settings with just one entry for Yes(Y). I also set Manual Method as before. Now, if I insert a new record I get my default N unless I check the box in which case I get Y. Also, if I update the record it will store Y if checked and N if unchecked.

The clue was in the generated SQL If the box is unchecked then "" is stored - ie nothing. If the default value is set to N then N is stored. I originally thought the default would always store that value; it seems that it is only stored if nothing else is.

Thanks for at least putting me on the right path.
      Last edited by dgoadby; 12-15-2015, 11:57 PM. Reason: Solved the problem.
      David Goadby, North Wales.