X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ask for help? If you expect good answers, ask better questions

UPDATED: 02/10/2014

I created this in the previous enviroment I worked, and I think it's interesting to have something similar here.

All of us have a lot to learn in our lifes. For this reason, all kind of people could need to ask for help with errors, bugs and so on, but its difficult to help, if there aren't enough information about the problem.

Here, you have a little guide about how to ask in this forums.

WebHelp: Remember exists WebHelp http://www.scriptcase.net/docs/en_us/v8/manual_mp.htm . It's a source of information to how things suppose to work. More important, is Macro section where you can see what every macro does http://www.scriptcase.net/docs/en_us...iptcase-macros .

Respect: first of all, respect. Community members don't get paid to visit forums and answer questions. We do in our free time, for the community. If you take your time to ask a good question, members will take his time to give good answers.

Before to ask
    - Search: A lot of questions are answered. Use the Search function of the forums to see first if your problem was asked before.

- Mixing topics: try to don't mix different technical topics in same thread. For every different not-related questions, create a new thread. Example "grid don't sort columns. Giuseppe don't close my threads .... " Create 2 threads (I will take care to close the second )

- Sometimes problems comes from malformed SQL querys. Or syntax errors. Use the Debug optionm and check your custom code to see if your query return exactly what you are looking for.

- Try to reproduce the error on a blank project. Create a project, add the essential components for the behavior you need, and see if error reproduces. If yes, attach an export of this project to your message. If not, if possible, an export of the related applications of your original project with error, could help too. Don't forget some data dump to recreate database if needed.

- Zombie-posting: Please, don't revive very old threads. It's not relevant to revive a 30threads post from 2007, where information probably not apply to actual versions. Create a new post, and link from it if information could be relevant.

- Clear browser cache: a lot of errors could appear if cache is not cleaned often. Clean, and try if you get the error again.

- SC version: Add the version number of ScripCase you are using to your message.

- Browser and S.O.: Add browser name and version, and operating system you are using

When you get the right answer, or your problem solved

- If you found the solution, post a message explaining how you solved the problem. This can help to others with same problem in the future. If somebody helped you, don't forget to give thanks. It's Free.

In both cases, edit your main post, and add to the title something like [SOLVED], and you can give thanks from this main post too. This will help, searching, to know if the post solves the problem.

Try to help people too. Scriptcase community is very good, but not so much people answer questions, we need you, to get an improved community.

All here we know NetMake is not very communicative, but they are working on improve this. Don't get angry, because we can't get anything with this attitude.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Giu; 10-05-2014, 05:34 AM. Reason: fixed typo and wrong links
    /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
    Some Customers opinions

Good post Giu

Quick question though - and excuse me if I am being a little thick - but how do you change a post's title to prefix [SOLVED]. I have tried when adding a new entry in a thread (as the title is editable there) - and that works, but the new title only applies to that post, not the overall thread's title? I cannot seem to change the main title for the thread?

:-)

Comment

Excellent clarification.
      About the lack of communication by Netmake I can agree on the fact that they are trying to improve, but when communicating with their support center or open a Ticket is very difficult to hold back the anger.
      Their luck is that most of the problems are often solved by those who have shown, many times with the use of the forum. On the other hand we use ScriptCase as a working tool and sometimes it costs too much to wait endlessly for a solution that never arrives and waste time in testing absolutely useless. We hope for a quick improvement.
      In the forum there are a lot of ideas. Your suggestions would make it even more valuable than it is already.
      Good luck to all.
      Giorgio Bravi
      Dolphin Software & Thinkware
      www.dolphin.it

Comment

Originally posted by adz1111 View Post
        Quick question though - and excuse me if I am being a little thick - but how do you change a post's title to prefix [SOLVED].
        If you are the thread owner / opener you can change the first post (Edit Post / Go Advanced / Title). But only in forums with prefixes are activated ... Ask the admin.
        Last edited by RHS; 10-03-2014, 03:23 PM.
        Best regards: - Reinhard -

I use ScriptCase 8 Enterprise Edition, Version 8.(latest)

Comment

That's the proof why this system doesn't work. We definitely need a decent bugtracker. The message [solved] doesn't give any solution except that it's another post with no content like 'issue reported to bugsteam'. Since a lot of issues / questions are reported they disappear when there's no reply for some time. Perhaps you can select on [solved], but it's the unsolved issues I care about. For me this is not a welcome solution, just an unnecessary post imho. I guess that over 99% of people will simply not do this.
          Albert Drent
          aducom software netherlands
          scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
          www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

This is not for bugs Albert,but for doubts of community
            /Giuseppe

Some Customers opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Giu View Post
              This is not for bugs Albert,but for doubts of community
              Even then Giu. I agree on most of you message, but I don't see any advantage in adding 'solved'.
              Albert Drent
              aducom software netherlands
              scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
              www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Originally posted by aducom View Post
                Even then Giu. I agree on most of you message, but I don't see any advantage in adding 'solved'.
                Because sometimes you search for a doubt,and found a lot of topics,but maybe 3 or 4 don't helps. If you search for your doubt and is marked as solved,you know there is a solution for the doubt
                /Giuseppe

Some Customers opinions

Comment

Working...
                X