Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improving SC performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Improving SC performance

    I work on a project where MySQL database is setup remotely (no residing on my PC). When opening Apps, switching from one screen to another there is significant delay (1-3 sec) sometimes even more. This makes my work really slow. I wonder if anybody has some tips to improve the performance ???

    Arthur
    -----------------------------------------
    Arthur Klisiewicz
    dATA POINT SOFTWARE
    www.datapointsoftware.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by aka View Post
    I work on a project where MySQL database is setup remotely (no residing on my PC). When opening Apps, switching from one screen to another there is significant delay (1-3 sec) sometimes even more. This makes my work really slow. I wonder if anybody has some tips to improve the performance ???
    Arthur, is it safe to assume you're running the "frontend" (forms, grids etc) on your local machine? AND the "backend" is a remote server somewhere on the internet?

    If this is the case, the accumulated processing speed of everything between your keyboard to the data on the remote server and back to your monitor is the problem.

    1) Scriptcase production environment is extremely heavy with overhead, requiring your local machine to process a huge number of calls and program loads/reloads
    2) your connection speed to the internet. Check the actual upload/download speed of your connection with something like http://www.speedtest.net/ to findout how much data your connection/carrier can actually send/receive
    3) Is the db host a shared host OR do you have a private vps? Shared Hosts are dogs!!! on a shared host, db resource allocation is way-down the list of resource allocation... switch to a vps that is geographically close to your location.

    I hope I did not misunderstand your question... and I hope my response provides some ideas/benefits.

    Stu Buck
    Phoenix AZ

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes I understand you suggestions and I was aware of all of them. I was hoping some caching adjustment etc in SC could improve it a bit. I'm not looking for miracles but I have a feeling like the preformance went about 20-30% down recantly while I'm still using same ISP, same PC, same dB. I have 3Mb/s DL and 0.9Md/s UL. I wonder if the number of tables in the database has anything to do with the performance. Yes at this moment I host MySQL on HostGator servers and it is shared plan. Once the project is in production I might consider dedicated dB.

      I will see if I can move the database locall and use MySQL admin to Sync it with the remote server manually (when needed).
      BTW. Any examples or ideas on Syncing 2 MySQL databases (withing SC) ?



      Thanks - Arthur
      -----------------------------------------
      Arthur Klisiewicz
      dATA POINT SOFTWARE
      www.datapointsoftware.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aka View Post
        I will see if I can move the database locall and use MySQL admin to Sync it with the remote server manually (when needed).
        BTW. Any examples or ideas on Syncing 2 MySQL databases (withing SC) ?

        Thanks - Arthur
        Arthur,
        As far as db management, I do not use any of the SC db stuff (enough problems with other SC bugs to risk the structure of my db as well). Sorry, cannot offer anything regarding db sync within SC.

        I use a product called dbForge Studio to manage all of my database requirements... FWIW, I love it!! Currently, I have several databases for about five different projects I've been working on. most of my db's have approximately one-hundred tables, some tables with over thirty fields..... Impossible to manage manually. With dbForge (I'm sure there are several comparable tools for managing db's, but this is the tool that works for me) I can run db syncs, local - remote, import - exports, comparisons on just the schemes or comparisons on schemes and data or comparisons on just the data. Then I have all kinds of options to merge, exclude, ignore or sync. dbForge has made my db management a "back-burner" issue and using dbForge doesn't require cliff-notes each time I need to do something 'funky' with my data structures.

        Stu Buck
        Phoenix AZ

        Comment


        • #5
          Stu Buck- you talking about software that resides on your PC (which is fine), but I'm looking for some procedures that allo user (of the project) sync 2 databases that reside at different locations (i.e. one remote and one local).
          Arthur
          -----------------------------------------
          Arthur Klisiewicz
          dATA POINT SOFTWARE
          www.datapointsoftware.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aka View Post
            I work on a project where MySQL database is setup remotely (no residing on my PC). When opening Apps, switching from one screen to another there is significant delay (1-3 sec) sometimes even more. This makes my work really slow. I wonder if anybody has some tips to improve the performance ???

            Arthur
            Set up a VPN connection from you PC to you MySQL server, that way, it will be a tunnel(direct connection) between points. I haven't really tested this yet though but theoretically, this could work.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by aka View Post
              Yes I understand you suggestions and I was aware of all of them. I was hoping some caching adjustment etc in SC could improve it a bit. I'm not looking for miracles but I have a feeling like the preformance went about 20-30% down recantly while I'm still using same ISP, same PC, same dB. I have 3Mb/s DL and 0.9Md/s UL. I wonder if the number of tables in the database has anything to do with the performance. Yes at this moment I host MySQL on HostGator servers and it is shared plan. Once the project is in production I might consider dedicated dB.

              I will see if I can move the database locall and use MySQL admin to Sync it with the remote server manually (when needed).
              BTW. Any examples or ideas on Syncing 2 MySQL databases (withing SC) ?



              Thanks - Arthur
              Arthur,

              You really ought to try putting the scriptcase development environment on your server.

              I run like that all the time, scriptcase and mySQL are able to talk very efficiently and fast.

              The only thing going over the internet are the screen updates.

              This also has the byproduct of way fast deployment.

              Dave
              Dave Prue
              Code Whisperer
              Lahar International Corp
              www.lahar.net

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by daveprue View Post
                Arthur,

                You really ought to try putting the scriptcase development environment on your server.

                I run like that all the time, scriptcase and mySQL are able to talk very efficiently and fast.

                The only thing going over the internet are the screen updates.

                This also has the byproduct of way fast deployment.

                Dave
                I agree. I have a windows 2012 virtual (SSD) server running with SC on it as well as MySQL. I use another isp, but it's a lot faster than my local pc where it used to run on. My main 'issue' is that generation time is sometime poor, but only on certain apps. I cannot figure out why. But another issue.
                Albert Drent
                aducom software netherlands
                scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
                www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

                Comment

                Working...
                X