Comments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments

I need to commit to a RAD system for PHP development and have spent three months looking for something that will fill my needs.

I have now shortlisted two - Delphi for PHP and Scriptcase. I come from a strong programming background using Borland/Codegear tools, especially Delphi.

I already use PHPRunner but find it too limiting for some of the things I need to do and, in any case, there are problems with its licensing arrangements and I prefer to use Linux as my primary OS.

I struggled initially to install & run Scriptcase on Linux (Ubuntu). I have since installed a new PC and am pleased that I now have Scriptcase "Trial" running on Ubuntu 9.04.

Elsewhere here I have posted relating to issues with PDF rendering and deployment.

My other question relates to licensing. I have looked around on your website but cannot find a license document for Scriptcase purchasers. Can you provide a link?

Thanks
    The GuiGuy
    ... from Down Under

Re: Comments

I need to commit to a RAD system for PHP development and have spent three months looking for something that will fill my needs.

I have now shortlisted two - Delphi for PHP and Scriptcase. I come from a strong programming background using Borland/Codegear tools, especially Delphi.
    We are in the same boat. I have been coding w/ Delphi since V1. In looking at D4PHP, I dropped it in a heartbeat. Slow, too many limitations, and the biggest reason, it does NOT produce true PHP code. Try to open the generated code in an editor ... garbage! I was really wanting D4PHP to work when it came out.

I already use PHPRunner but find it too limiting for some of the things I need to do and, in any case, there are problems with its licensing arrangements and I prefer to use Linux as my primary OS.
    I struggled initially to install & run Scriptcase on Linux (Ubuntu). I have since installed a new PC and am pleased that I now have Scriptcase "Trial" running on Ubuntu 9.04.
    Again, same boat. I have Ubuntu64 8.10 as my main OS using XP in VirtualBox. I am very happy to see SC supports a web interface so I can code and test in my Linux Box.

My main reason for replying was for the D4PHP. Unless they have changed this, I would steer clear and look for alternatives if SC does not work as you require.

Regards,
    Scott.

Comment

My main reason for replying was for the D4PHP. Unless they have changed this, I would steer clear and look for alternatives if SC does not work as you require.
      Thanks for the response.

I've pretty much concluded the same as you in relation to D4PHP.

I remain a little confused about PHP coding; the fanboys are telling me forget a RAD or code generators- real PHP coders only use a text editor. For me, having programmed with Delphi since version 1 there is no way that I'd want to go back to hard coding repetitive UI etc stuff. I think Delphi has spoilt me a bit.

I have some licensing concerns to clarify in respect of SC but other than that I think I am ready to commit.

Cheers
      The GuiGuy
      ... from Down Under

Comment

I remain a little confused about PHP coding; the fanboys are telling me forget a RAD or code generators- real PHP coders only use a text editor. For me, having programmed with Delphi since version 1 there is no way that I'd want to go back to hard coding repetitive UI etc stuff. I think Delphi has spoilt me a bit.
        You are always going to get the 'true grit' responses. Why reinvent the wheel. I did not have the time to create grids (devexpress, etc) in Delphi and I do not have the time to create PHP from scratch. The worst thing that can happen is that you review the code made by the generators and learn how to do it on your own later on. Some people think RAD is cheating., BS ... My customers who pay me to create a project want results. They want to know if the app is ready, not that I created it from scratch.

20 years ago, I used to code in C and writing Win31 apps from scratch. I do not miss that crap at all.

I look at a generator as a foundation. Once you get things behaving like you want .. then whip out the editors and go to work on the finishing touches.

I have some licensing concerns to clarify in respect of SC but other than that I think I am ready to commit.
        You may want to also send an email to sales@scriptcase.net. This may only be p2p support.
        If you run into problems with the license, feel free to contact me on other options. I have used several generators over the past year.

Regards,
        Scott.

Comment

[quote author=ScottMartin link=topic=1025.msg2909#msg2909 date=1248713912]
          You may want to also send an email to sales@scriptcase.net. [/quote]

We have a special service industry project in mind. An industry association will be sponsoring the project, which is intended to go into the public domain as open source.

Looking into the code generated by Scriptcase I notice a large number of copyright messages, or at least messages that seem to imply copyright. However, I am unable to find a copy of the license under which SC is sold. I had emailed sales@scriptcase.net some weeks ago about licensing. They replied there is no problem with open sourcing a project. However, in the absence of a license document I remain concerned.

One concern I have is the about the framework used. How does it impact on the release of code that it is based on?

Cheers

The GuiGuy
          ... from Down Under

Comment

Hey GuiGuy,

I know this is quite an old post, but a line in your post interests me.

Maybe you can share your process on how you made scriptcase work in ubuntu 9.04. I'm into current situation and my scriptcase stop working saying something like this version is not allowed in this server. But on the 1st day I installed it, it worked. Next day, boom! :-)

I'm thinking maybe I have done something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your reply.... :-)

Comment

[quote author=ironman link=topic=1025.msg3103#msg3103 date=1254390541]
              Maybe you can share your process on how you made scriptcase work in ubuntu 9.04. I'm into current situation and my scriptcase stop working saying something like this version is not allowed in this server. But on the 1st day I installed it, it worked. Next day, boom! :-)
              [/quote]

My reply probably isn't going to help much;

Because I couldn't SC going on an established Linux box I set up a new PC with Ubuntu 9.04. SC was then installed using the instructions provided on the website. It worked "out of the box".

I have thus far not purchased SC, so can't say if SC is still working. However, it did work for the trial period.

The GuiGuy
              ... from Down Under

Comment

Ironman,

You may want to contact support and find out what would trigger this error message. I have it running on 8.10/64bit, but not tried a 9.04 install. I may upgrade to 9.10 so I am interested in what may be the cause.

Perhaps it was a Zend error, not SC?

Regards,
                Scott.

Comment

Working...
                X