what is your opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is your opinion

I'm thinking about buying Scriptcase, but there are several thing which hold me off. Would like to know what is your (user) opinion on company reliability. So far the software looks very good to me but I stumbled on several problems or questions which seem to be completely ignored.
    1. Asked pr-sale question (twice) which has never been answered

2. Tried to report a bug in a demo App, but their TICKET systems simply kicked me out of the form (because I missed one field on the form) and presented me with a blank form which I hate to re-DO again from scratch. When I login to the STUDENT TRAINING example (as ADMIN) I get invalid email error!

3. My application form for AFFILIATE did not get submitted (or perhaps it did but I have no confirmation, no message, nothing,..)

4. Many people (on the forum) complain about inability to communicate in a timely manner with TechSupport, and company
    employees having hard time to understand/speak English.

5. This forum which we use is not integrated with company site which makes me think that if I want to havbe my App linked to the forum, it will not work (perhaps it is possible)

I already have had an experience with the company which developed excelent product, but failed in customer relationships. Those people was also arrogant and ignorred most of the user requests for improving the software. Due to that they failed and software is no longer in development. (perhaps some people know CODE CHARGE from Yes Software). I 'm trying to prevend the same situation from happening, that's why I ask all those questions. I would appreciate if people can respond and throw their PRO's and CON's, so we (new users) can make a better decission if the software and vendor is right for us. Here are some questions:
    - how would you rate documentation ?
    - are you happy with customer support ?
    - how company responds to bug reports ?
    - how much of new improvements (i.e by %) in new versions ?
    - how fast user database grows ?
    - do you know of any other tool which can do better than Scriptcase ?
    - how easy Scriptcase Apps could be integrated with CMS systems (i.e. Drupal) ?
    - would you make the same decision buying scriptcase (or would you go with some other solution) ?

Arthur

Re: what is your opinion

i agree in one thing...the weaknes netmake is CUSTOMER SUPPORT, its nightmare!!!......i thing people prefer choice to ask on forum then CUSTOMER SUPPORT. I will hope netmake can fixed this.

Comment

I am also in eval mode right now. So far I have asked with tickets a question or 2 and gots answers. I also did the chat thing, both with sales question and also with a tech question - they answers sales online, with followup emails as they said. The tech question was also answered by them online, with the sales person transfering the chat to a tech staff person live. Both chats were kinda slowish, but they were effective for me. The system also emails the entire chat transcript automatically - VERY nice.

So far, between the help docs, samples/tutorials, videos, and this forum, I have been doing pretty well.

Frankly, I bet the main problem is what our expectations of "tech support" are going to be. Althought I have read a couple of SC bug type forum posts, 99% of these posts are not tech support - they are programming/code generation/how-to support questions. I fall into that area 99.99%. I have not had a real SC bug or operational problem yet (cross my fingers it stays that way after I buy). It is my experience that super users are much better sources of tips, tricksa, and practical help for us. The SC developers are probably great programmers, BUT they probably have not used the SC system to make web apps/sites as much as some of the heavy users (customers) in the forum.

I would test my theory by asking tech support on two tickets - 1. a SC GUI question 2. a "How do I make a purple pokadotted header appear underneath a form instead of above it". I bet they answer 1 same day, and maybe never the second one.

I hope that everyone who seems active right now on the forum keeps sharing - I have learned a lot from them, even just browsing thru and reading the posts.

Please post back what you find out and decide about SC here, so we can all benefit - you seem to have a thorough and well thought out critera for your decision. Good luck,
      Jamie

Comment

SC is such nice tools for me, i create some program from sc and its wonderfull (i bought sc on july 2011)!, the main secret how to use sc is always "keep it simple thingking " the problem its solve!!! , as i said before about Customer Support its my experience 6 amonth ago.

Regards
        Fauziah

Comment

Starting with SC V 4.0, I really had one SC bug found in that time. To prevent that it just was a user fault I got it confirmed by forum user. The bug report was taken by SC and solved in the next sub-update. Was faster than expected, near to perfect, perfect would be, if the ticket writing user would get a short information which tells that the bug is solved.

Documentation is the big fail in SC at the moment. I understand, by a point of programmer, it is not easy to hold it up to date, but I think it is very imported especially for new SC user.

Comment

Well, my testing is complete and I just purchased SC MySQL version 5. I got another timely response to a support ticket, found more help here, and watched a couple more videos. I am not sure how much more documentation people want/need, but in my experience SC is well documented. While it appears to be logically designed, it is a powerful system; therefore, there is a level of complexity to making things work. The simple stuff, like spitting out a grid from a single table, is child's play. Making that grid link to various lookup tables, have custom business logic programmed into the events, and changing the security system to accommodate many types of authorized users are all possible.... once you invest enough time to learn how. I want to report to all that I was able to do almost everything the way I wanted to during my tests, which were pretty extensive. I would recommend to anyone evaluating SC to 1) work thru a few of the tutorials on the basic, just to get a feel of success and 2) come up with a series of tests - the hardest bits of your project or idea - and systematically try to implement them in SC.

I am sold on v5 - it is what I have been testing with and it works well. I see some people on the forum expressing frustration about the v6 release. I guess I am lucky in two regards. 1) They have a very clear upgrade policy and support policy in regards to the impending v6 change, so I feel safe. 2) I happen to be buying my license like a week or so before they are projecting the v6 release. I can load v6 and am not heavily invested or married to the way v5 works. Besides, they say v5 and v6 are a smooth transition.

So I am taking the SC plunge today, spending actual $$$ (being a huge fan of open source that is always hard for me LOL). I want to thank the SC staff, as well as other forum users who have helped me here and there during my tests. I have tried to post some useful things on the forum... and will continue to do so. I look forward to seeing what each of you have to contribute too.

Happy Holidays!
            Jamie

Comment

I think the problem with SC is, as with most software these days, that it is a work in progress. And we should also bear in mind that it is a code generator first. As such there will be compromises.

There remain circumstances where its code generation falls over, especially when using complex SQL constructs. To get around this one could use VIEWS (mysql), but there's a gotcha- some, if not all, virtual hosts don't allow views.

To me, the most annoying thing about SC is that it is locked into PHP5.2; as mostly a linux user these days it means I cannot maintain the most current distro version without a heap of stuffing about downgrading PHP on every upgrade/ update. It is a PITA. I know there is talk about SC6, but it remains vaporware at this point and, in any case, remembering the chaos of early versions of 5.n, I expect SC6 to be buggy and unreliable for early adopters. At this stage I run SC5 out of a virtual box that has Ubuntu Karmic installed. I suspect that will remain so for at least another year or two because I am no longer an early adopter when it comes to development platforms.

But all in all, for what it is SC5.2 is now the pick of the code generators IMO.

Cheers and seasonal greetings...

The GuiGuy
              ... from Down Under

Comment

I can agree with most of your posts. I'm amazed on how much and how fast can be done with SC, although I have my license barely for 2 weeks. This product has a great potential and if managed properly it could become a killer product for many other which lead the market at the moment.
                Of the many things that we users consider when selecting a product is:

- product itself
                - documentation
                - support
                - community
                - reliability (bugs etc.)

accordingly to rate all those on a scale 1-3 I would put:

- product itself = 3
                - documentation = 2 (because of poor English, I should probably give it only 1 )
                - support = 1
                - community = =2
                - reliability (bugs etc.) = 3

perhaps this will help NetMake management figure out about their weak points

Comment

[quote author=aklisiewicz link=topic=5753.msg14368#msg14368 date=1325743985]
                  I can agree with most of your posts. I'm amazed on how much and how fast can be done with SC, although I have my license barely for 2 weeks. This product has a great potential and if managed properly it could become a killer product for many other which lead the market at the moment.
                  Of the many things that we users consider when selecting a product is:

- product itself
                  - documentation
                  - support
                  - community
                  - reliability (bugs etc.)

accordingly to rate all those on a scale 1-3 I would put:

- product itself = 3
                  - documentation = 2 (because of poor English, I should probably give it only 1 )
                  - support = 1
                  - community = =2
                  - reliability (bugs etc.) = 3

perhaps this will help NetMake management figure out about their weak points
                  [/quote]

Hello,

Our documentation is being re-created on Scriptcase 6. In addition, you can always help us improve our documentation by contacting us at support@scriptcase.net.

As to our support not being helpful, you are able to re-open any ticket at any given time, if the answer we provided was not satisfactory.

regards,
                  Bernhard Bernsmann

Comment

I'd have to give support a 2.... definitely not a 1 in my experience yet.. and I've asked a lot of questions. I cannot speak of how quick bugs that are reported are fixed, as I just found one the day before yesterday. Hopefully it'll be fixed for SC 6, because it seems like a minor bug fix, but who knows.

Comment

Well it seems like I'm probably going to skip ScriptCase and look for another RAD. Although I really fell in love with ScriptCase, I cannot find a way of setting up the production environment via a script, one must use the _lib part of the site to configure all the database connections.

I cannot do this as I want people to be able to sign up online and access their set up and database quickly, not wait for me to configure it for them. And to have them do it would probably be a nightmare and a security risk.

Its very sad that the developers will NOT work on making any changes to this and say it is what it is.

Maybe I'll still settle on SC but I'm thinking I can't.

Comment

I agree with last post. SC is a great product but the installation part and deployment part have a lot to improve. I haven't done any deployment yet (as I use the product only for 2 weeks). I wonder if I'm gonna get into any trouble hosting on HOST GATOR servers. At least up till now I want to use SC on XAMPP and can't get enough help.
                        There are few major implementations of SOAP available and NetMake should really make an effort to master at least one of them, then provide exact steps with an installation. For me XAMPP is the best choice because it is flexible, I can install it on any machine in 3-5min, no extra confioguration or anything required. On top of XAMPP I run and test Joomla sites, and some of my custom applications which run of the MySQL database. I could switch to WAMP or any other tool which would not require to setup all the components separately. I also want to have an ability to hand over an application to another person (customer or tester) and be able to do the testing without the internet. Such average person would have no idea how to setup any SQL server, configure, connect, edit INI files etc. So everything must be automated, pretty much like one runs INSTALL.EXE from Windows and just answers the questions until hittin the EXIT button.

Art

Comment

My goal is to have a SaaS service... I run my own servers through a VPS service, which I'm very happy doing.

I just want customers to be able to sign up online, it provision their own sub-domain, own apache virtual folder, their own mysql database, own set of application files, and configure the production environment for SC.

At this point, I can do everything except the production environment. This is a major factor in not purchasing ScriptCase. What good is it to have a great application if my clients have to wait 24-48 hours for me to get to configure their production environment, or have to hire someone if I want to go away so their environment can be set up.

SC Development will NOT do anything to help this. So far they have been great, but since they will not listen to this necessity, my necessity will be finding a different product. Using just 1 database is not possible for my application needs because it must integrate with Joomla sites (different ones) ...

Very disappointed....

Comment

[quote author=pettechservices link=topic=5753.msg14400#msg14400 date=1325903956]
                            My goal is to have a SaaS service... I run my own servers through a VPS service, which I'm very happy doing.

I just want customers to be able to sign up online, it provision their own sub-domain, own apache virtual folder, their own mysql database, own set of application files, and configure the production environment for SC.

At this point, I can do everything except the production environment. This is a major factor in not purchasing ScriptCase. What good is it to have a great application if my clients have to wait 24-48 hours for me to get to configure their production environment, or have to hire someone if I want to go away so their environment can be set up.

SC Development will NOT do anything to help this. So far they have been great, but since they will not listen to this necessity, my necessity will be finding a different product. Using just 1 database is not possible for my application needs because it must integrate with Joomla sites (different ones) ...

Very disappointed....
                            [/quote]

Hello,

Scriptcase connection configurations are stored in "../projects/_lib/conf/prod.config.php", under the Profile tag. You could create a programming routine to add new connections on the fly, the only difficulty would be to add new connections with a different password.

If for every new user, a new project is deployed then you could create a small tutorial on how to set connections.

regards,
                            Bernhard Bernsmann

Comment

I think that SC installation for every database license should include that particular database installed. At this moment SC installation is completely separate from dB. I would see simple selection of what I want to install and then some basic tools (i.e. MyPhpAdmin for MySQL).

Art

Comment

Working...
                              X