Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My ScriptCase experience

[quote author=GuiGuy link=topic=6197.msg17154#msg17154 date=1344372622]
    Hi, this is one of the few threads I'm still subscribed to here. Interesting to read through it though and I fee I need to add my 2c worth.

I gave up on SC for 2 reasons;

1) I installed the SC 6 trial and found there was no way to import my old SC5 backed up applications. I gave up.

2) I then went to "upgrade" and was advised my SC5 licence was invalid.

That's not the way to market a development platform.
    [/quote]

You have V5 apps you invested time in, and you left the product for those 2 problems?
    I agree that would be frustrating, but did you try to get help?

Comment

[quote author=FrankR link=topic=6197.msg17157#msg17157 date=1344375155]
      You have V5 apps you invested time in, and you left the product for those 2 problems?
      [/quote]

They were probably the two problems that broke the "camel's back". I would have thought that my backed up SC5.2 projects would migrate to SC6. When I saw they wouldn't, I re-installed the OS with PHP 5.2 so I could re-install SC5.2. It wouldn't accept the licence!!?? I then created Ubuntu Karmic OS in a Virtual Box, and tried to install the SC5.2 trial. Whilst it installed, it wouldn't restore the backed up project files.

I'm surprised you didn't hear my screams at the time...

I agree that would be frustrating, but did you try to get help?
      No, because as a long time SC4.n and 5.n user I had "upgraded" previously with disappointing outcomes.

Essentially, I decided to cut my losses and am coding by hand again. Maybe PHP was always intended to be that way.

The GuiGuy
      ... from Down Under

Comment

[quote author=GuiGuy link=topic=6197.msg17162#msg17162 date=1344395105]
        I'm surprised you didn't hear my screams at the time...
        [/quote]

I'm a trial guy, so I wasn't around at the time. But, recently I have done some forum reading,
        and I Did see your screams.

Re: your inability to upgrade 5.2 projects to 6 - do you think that was a problem specific to your installation,
        or a general statement about the product? I would expect 5.x projects to migrate to 6. Is that not the case?

Comment

[quote author=FrankR link=topic=6197.msg17163#msg17163 date=1344426313]
          Re: your inability to upgrade 5.2 projects to 6 - do you think that was a problem specific to your installation,
          or a general statement about the product? I would expect 5.x projects to migrate to 6. Is that not the case?
          [/quote]

No, I don't think so because neither 5.2 or the trial of 6 would recognise the backup files. And I was too frustrated and jaded to once again stuff about trying to solve someone else problem. And that's been my observation of SC all the way; one step forward, two back.

The GuiGuy
          ... from Down Under

Comment

I have no problems with converting my apps from v5 to v6. i have both licences working on the same hardware.
            So itīs possible to check old projects in v5 and copy code directly to v6 in apps where i need to put some special code !!

Comment

Helo,
              The migration V5->V6 is not working with backup files, but with the files in the path of SC V5 version.
              So the migration tool aks you where SC V5 is installed. I had no problems with migration of some hundered grids and forms.

Best regards
              Uwe Pfeiffer

Comment

The migration V5->V6 is not working with backup files, but with the files in the path of SC V5 version.
                Well, there's the rub. I'd set up new hardware. Since I had the so called SC5.2 backup files and since I was going to move to SC6, I determined there was no need to move my SC5 project directory across. I thought, naively I admit, that the backup files would restore the structures.

Neither SC5.2 or 6 would open the backup files, reporting them as not recognized. For a development platform that is unacceptable; backup files HAVE TO BE robust. It was for that reason I decided to cut my losses. BTW, to this day I haven't heard from the SC team after I raised the issue with them directly.

The GuiGuy
                ... from Down Under

Comment

Hello GuiGuy,

Sorry if I did not understood you correctly, but as Pfeiffer said SC 6 migration tool works with the files in the path o SC 5, and not backup files.

Please try copying SC 5 to your SC 6 server and then use the migration tool pointing to SC 5 folder.

regards,
                  Bernhard Bernsmann

Comment

Please try copying SC 5 to your SC 6 server and then use the migration tool pointing to SC 5 folder.
                    Obviously I wasn't clear; I only have the SC5.2 backup files (zip containing bkp files, mwb and sql). SC5.2 rejects them (I think there was a restore function, but it's been awhile). It says the files are not recognised. So, I cannot restore 5.2 backups with 5.2. Ergo, I cannot migrate my files to SC6. Consequently, all work seems lost.

The GuiGuy
                    ... from Down Under

Comment

Hello GuiGuy, would you attach your backup file that maked from sc 5.2 and your database file in *.sql (empty database is ok).

So we can know your situation correctly.

Suyono.

Comment

Why? I'm over it.

As I stated, this is the last SC forum thread I was subscribed so I only came back out curiosity.

FOOTNOTE: Sorry to sound churlish, but bear in mind that at this late stage to attempt to recover from the backup files would mean setting up a PC or VM with PHP5.2 when the whole world left that behind a computer eon ago. It is just too much bother. And that's why I really got p!55ed off with SC.

The GuiGuy
                        ... from Down Under

Comment

how to upload the MySQL db also and setup the connections? website does support MySQL DB

Comment

Originally posted by sivak View Post
                            how to upload the MySQL db also and setup the connections? website does support MySQL DB
                            Hello sivak,

Please contact our support regarding this issue.

regards,
                            Bernhard Bernsmann

Comment

Working...
                            X