Open Letter: Why I am Giving up on SC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Letter: Why I am Giving up on SC

I think the best way I can describe my scriptcase experience is "disappointing". After several weeks of coming to terms with it, and certainly appreciating what it sets out to achieve, I have decided to give up on SC. IT simply is not a RAD or fast track to developing small applications. PHPRunner does that just so much better IMO.

The straw that broke my back came today when I tried to deploy a small, unsecured application to a production environment on a virtual host. I followed the instructions in the help file to the letter.

Then, after extracting the files to its directory on the host and recursively setting permission for _lib to 777, I tried opening it in the browser...

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@<mydomain>.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    I don't have access to the server log files, of course, it's a virtual host.

I check the info.php file. Nothing amiss AFAICT.

I run diagnosis.php. It seems OK, although it's complaining ZEND optimizer is not installed. Do I really need it for a production project?

ANyway, as I said, it's all very disappointing. The money probably doesn't matter. We can write it off, although it always does leave a bad taste on one's mouth when buying software that just doesn't live up to the promise.

Oh, btw, the ticketed help proved disappointing as well, but at least you have Scott Martin to help you out in these forums.

Thankfully I have an alternative PHP code generator that delivers what it promises. But good luck with Scriptcase anyway. I'm sure there are some who are doing better with it than I did.

The GuiGuy
    ... from Down Under

Re: Open Letter: Why I am Giving up on SC

[quote author=GuiGuy link=topic=1463.msg4492#msg4492 date=1271555193]

I don't have access to the server log files, of course, it's a virtual host.

I check the info.php file. Nothing amiss AFAICT.

I run diagnosis.php. It seems OK, although it's complaining ZEND optimizer is not installed. Do I really need it for a production project?

[/quote]

What does support has to say on installing application on virtual host

What are the recommendations.?

Thanks
    Reginald Bailly

Comment

Sorry this happened. I know I have had my share of headaches as well.

I would like to resolve this even if is just for knowledge purposes... if you are willing.

My first thought would be to make sure of the following when uploading to a production release server:

-Create a ZIp file for deployment instead of the built-in upload
      -Unzip the file to a DIR you created under wwwroot
      -change rights for all files to 777 (just to test your problem). I usually make files (644) and dir (755)
      -Zend is not needed. That is for IDE only

Sorry to see you go ...

Regards,
      Scott.

Comment

Sorry, but it is an environment problem, not a scriptcase problem.
        As Scott said... Zend is not needed. That is for IDE only.
        We reconmend to use the ZIP deployment. It should solve that problem.

Best Regards,
        Vítor Jamil

Comment

We reconmend to use the ZIP deployment. It should solve that problem.
          That's exactly what I did. To the letter, SC's instructions.

And it doesn't answer the tickets I raised wht the SC macros were returning unknown function errors.

Anyway, no matter. I have moved on.

Cheers
          The GuiGuy
          ... from Down Under

Comment

I really hope that they will work on the documentation, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

Actually I'm strongly agreed what GuiGuy said. I raised ticket on support before my support subscription period end and until now, that issue haven't resolved.

A lot of procedure is quite necessary for security reason but they just ignore and we need to do lots of customization checking to resolve the problem. Like user rights control and so on. Maybe they consider all users should have the same rights. no different between Admin / User / Guest rights.

Maybe they only cater new customer request and just ignore whatever subscription ended customer. This is what I feel.

Comment

[quote author=justalk link=topic=1463.msg4911#msg4911 date=1276527706]
                Maybe they only cater new customer request and just ignore whatever subscription ended customer. This is what I feel.
                [/quote]

That's pretty much my conclusion; I trialled version 4 and the support responses were prompt and, language barriers notwithstanding, informative. I didn't trial V5, thinking that it must be better and that, in any case, there was support for what I thought would be a good product.

Anyway, it's over so no matter. And ss it is I won't deploy secured applications for me anyway.

I still have SC running in a virtualbox on ubuntu 9.04, mainly because SC doesn't work with PHP 5.3 and my PCs are now all on Ubuntu 10.04). I'll continue to play with it as time permits and maybe they'll sort it out before my subscription runs out. In the meantime, when it comes to programming meaningful webapps, well, I think there are better tools and many of those can be found in OpenSource.
                The GuiGuy
                ... from Down Under

Comment

what OpenSource would you reccomend ?

Whaty are the disadvantages of using PHPRunner ?

Comment

Xlinesoft is US so at least there is no language barrier (which is pain on th but with NetMake).
                    I have looked up their demo Apps, but they look kinda plain and simple. I wonder if there are any really advanced functions implemented (?)

Arthur

Comment

Xlinesoft support is GREAT. Most of the time their respond is with-in 24HR. I heard that their 6.1 is in beta soon.

Comment

I will be happy to hear your opinion and review

Art

Comment

I used PHPRunner for more than 3 years and at least changed to SC.
                          It's not easy to compare these both products

If the project is growing PHPRunner has problems with loading big project files... not so SC because of using a database behind and not a project text file.. Multiple developers can work on the same project in SC but not in PHPRunner... and so on...

So it depends on what is important for your project..
                          Both a very good products with different aims.

Regards
                          Uwe Pfeiffer

Comment

One main point, why you PURCHASE a product and not getting a FREE software? The reason is you want to get SUPPORT from the company &amp; the only way is to purchase the software to SUPPORT them.

Am I right?

For multiple developers, maybe you can take a look @

http://xlinesoft.com/blog/2011/06/08...-same-project/

hth

Comment

I'm late to this discussion, but I stumbled upon it, so I'm going to comment.

I have worked with most development tools out there. I have worked with the mentioned ___Runner products.

I don't think they and SC are in the same league. The ___Runner products can do Some things ok, but I find SC to be far closer to a true RAD tool. I'm not going to comment on support because I'm still trialing, and I haven't had the experiences some cite here. But functionally, I really do believe SC is far ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X