? about workflow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about workflow

I am very new to scriptcase (moving from another tool which I love hate ). Right now I have Scriptcase on my local windows machine for development and have a production server that is linux based. The publishing process seems very different to me and has some issues going from Windows to Linux. So my questions are:

Do you develop locally and then publish to a server?
    What development machines OS do you use?
    What production OS do you use?

Any advice for a Scriptcase newb?

Thanks
    TK

Kirchaj,

We actually have 3 environments, all running on identical CentOS 6.6 servers.

1. Development Environment (Development and Testing using NetMake's apache/php)
    2. Test Environment - this is where I deploy to from Development Environment (Standard apache/php)
    3. Production Environment - this is rsync'ed from Test Environment, once testing is complete (apache/php same versions as Test Environment)

All 3 environments share the same SQL cluster: dual servers with master-master replication, front-ended with a HAProxy (High Availability) Load Balancer.

We do development remotely with 4 programmers all using Development Environment hosted on our servers (10,000 miles away) via VPN

Everything works well

Dave
    Last edited by daveprue; 01-26-2015, 11:46 AM.
    Dave Prue
    Code Whisperer
    Lahar International Corp
    www.lahar.net

Comment

great info

Dave,
      This information is a great help and gives me a lot to think about. My environment is much smaller and I am the only developer. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Tony

Originally posted by daveprue View Post
      Kirchaj,

We actually have 3 environments, all running on identical CentOS 6.6 servers.

1. Development Environment (Development and Testing using NetMake's apache/php)
      2. Test Environment - this is where I deploy to from Development Environment (Standard apache/php)
      3. Production Environment - this is rsync'ed from Test Environment, once testing is complete (apache/php same versions as Test Environment)

All 3 environments share the same SQL cluster: dual servers with master-master replication, front-ended with a HAProxy (High Availability) Load Balancer.

We do development remotely with 4 programmers all using Development Environment hosted on our servers (10,000 miles away) via VPN

Everything works well

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kirchaj View Post
        I am very new to scriptcase (moving from another tool which I love hate ). Right now I have Scriptcase on my local windows machine for development and have a production server that is linux based. The publishing process seems very different to me and has some issues going from Windows to Linux. So my questions are:

Do you develop locally and then publish to a server?
        What development machines OS do you use?
        What production OS do you use?

Any advice for a Scriptcase newb?

Thanks
        TK
        All depends in your needs. I have a local license to develop when I don't have internet access. I have a local apache to test too.

I have another license on our server, with IceCoder to edit local files, and don't exit from browser.
        /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
        Some Customers opinions

Comment

At the university we run on a Windows 2012 server with a 6 user licence. We also deploy on windows server with a uniform (apache) webserver. For production issues we have a separate 2 licence server so we can apply hotfixes when needed while developing is not interfered. We mostly use Oracle/SQL server. In general all employees (around 5500) and students (around 30000) are potential user.

As aducom we develop on a windows 2012 server but deploy on several systems depending on our customers. In general standard hosting providers around the globe and our own virtual and dedicated servers (all windows 2012). We have developed on a local engine but then you have to bring the laptop everywhere with you. With a centralized developmentsystemn you can access that from anywhere. But here too we deploy in steps, development, test, acceptance and production environment (DTAP). Here we mostly use MySQL.
          Last edited by aducom; 01-26-2015, 04:31 PM.
          Albert Drent
          aducom software netherlands
          scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
          www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Working...
          X