No announcement yet.

password field with content that can be copied by end users

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password field with content that can be copied by end users

Apparently browsers disable copy on <input type=password>.

In a form, how can I have a field (content retrieved from db) that is "obfuscated" (e.g. shown as "*********") but that the user can select it and copy its real content (the data from the db) to the clipboard?
    Last edited by robydago; 01-30-2015, 08:15 PM.

Afaik you cannot. That's simply because the field is declared as password, and all browsers are designed that way.
    Albert Drent
    aducom software netherlands
    scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development /

This is only possible with a seperate program that catches the passwords, like iepassview and similar.

Maybe I was not clear.

I tried to use a password field only because its content is obfuscated by default.

The content of the field I need to obfuscate is irrelevant: the data is from a database table and its content is populated by the app end user via an SC form.

I'd like to have two options for a sensitive information field:
        1. - field content visible <- user can select it and copy it in the clipboard or write it down on paper
        2. - field content "obfuscated" (*****) <- user can select it and copy the real content (not the obfuscated version) in the clipboard

Option 2 is to be used in case users want to be sure no one near their computer can see the field content when they copy it (as it could happen with Option 1).

Provide a a button / link near that obfuscated field labelled "copy to clipboard", and code it to pull the relevant table data and write that to the clipboard? Will probably need a javascript utility like zeroclipboard to do the last clipboard bit...

Tnks adz,

googling around I had found some info about zeroclipboard, but it relies on Adobe Flash so I didn't want to go that route (no mobile support, right? and isn't Flash going to die soon anyway?).

If there' no other way, I'll try the HTML5 clipboard api.

thanks but this is not about broswers\passwords at all.
                The data to be obfuscated is stored in a db (mysql or postgresql) table field and the interface to enter\read\change it will be my ScriptCase application only.

If it is an encrypted string from the database that shows in a field then you are out of luck, unless you know (and can reverse) the algorithm to reverse the stored encrypted password. If it is md5 or sha-1 or so then you are out of luck.

@rr: I know the (reversible) algorithm since I'm writing the application and creating the db from scratch.

So you want a field with an encrypted text on the webpage and have the user copy/paste it unencrypted? Then the only things you can do is add the javascript decrypting routine on a javascript event. Since someone enters the field for a copy he'd have to select it.
                      Anyway you can find more detailed info here:

And specially this one:

Another totally awesome link:
                      and also:

Anyway enough links to help you on..
                      Last edited by rr; 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM. Reason: Found some cooler code