Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy grid dataset to form

Hi,

I searched for the problem but didn't find areal solution even though there were several questions about that.

I would like to show a dataset in a grid with many fields. Mostly there are only minor differences required for a new dataset.

The user should be able to call a grid and copy the whole dataset in a new form and save that as a new dataset.

In form application I can find the "copy" button but htere is no "copy" button in the toolbar preferences in the grid application. Why?

How can this problem be solved? I think I'm not the only one who wishes this functionality ;-)

Joe

Because on form has sense, to copy the récord, but not un grids.

What do you want, select some records on grid and copy them? Then you need an "run button", and princess manually cheked rows
    /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
    Some Customers opinions

Comment

Hi Giu,

let me explain shortly. I write a technical report for many machines every year. I have to fill out about 300 different fields in this report. The changes of the yearly reports are usually minor on the same machine.

I select the last yearly report (grid) and would copy this one to a new prefilled form with all data, make my minor changes and save this to a new report.

Why should I select a form (with a copy button) instead of a grid? I don't want to make any changes to the last report only copy the data. So for me it makes sense to start the new dataset from a grid.

Am I wrong?

Joe

Comment

Joe

Giu is telling you both ways.

1)
        If you want to do it from the Grid, then create a new button of type "Run". This will make checkboxes appear on the grid. When you click on the Run button any PHP you have coded in the button will run against the selected record(s). So you will need to write the "copying" code in the button yourself.

2)
        The other (easier) option is to add the built in Copy button to the FORM's toolbar. So, to copy a grid's record - "edit" the grid record you want to copy. Once that record has opened in the form, then click on the form's copy button.

That's it.

Comment

Thank you guys, I will choose the easy way because I'm not a programmer.

BUT what really makes no sense IMHO is the missing "copy button function" in a grid. Regarding sense I'm a little bit angry with SC. I'm no programmer so I look straight forward on SC and try what is possible for me and my poor skills.
          If I look at the grid menu I find "Edit fields" "Fields positioning" an the folder "Fields". When you look at the functions they are nearly all the same. In three different positions in the menu??? I think this is very confusing for me an THIS makes no sense for me (only one example of many). Or maybe I'm too dumb to realize the sense ;-))

Joe

Comment

Thank you guys, I will choose the easy way because I'm not a programmer.

BUT what really makes no sense IMHO is the missing "copy button function" in a grid.
            Maybe anybody asked for it. Yes, you don't have a copy button, but you have a "Run" button where you can do whatever you want for every record checked. I prefer this than another prefab button with a lot of non used code in my files.

Regarding sense I'm a little bit angry with SC. I'm no programmer so I look straight forward on SC and try what is possible for me and my poor skills.
            Well, SC can't have all features, don't have a copy button in grid, but has dinamic groupBy, advanced filtering on runtime, and so on..... (more important to me IMHO). You can post in Suggestions forums about copy button in grid. Maybe is not too much time consuming and NetMake choose to implement.

When you look at the functions they are nearly all the same. In three different positions in the menu??? I think this is very confusing for me an THIS makes no sense for me (only one example of many). Or maybe I'm too dumb to realize the sense ;-))
            You got the point, nearly same, but not same.
            "Edit fields" -> It shows all fields retrieved from database. You can access fast to some config to do changes, and do it in bulk in different fields. You can reorder here too.

"Fields positioning" -> This is just to reorder files, and move hidden fiels to give visiliblity on form. Faster than "Edit Fields", and you can select more than one field an moving togther (you can't do this on "Edit Fields")

"Fields" -> This tree menu has just the visible fields to access his advanced params on one click, to avoid 2 steps ("Edit FIelds, press advanced on field), and as a "fast remembering fields name table".

Every option you mention, has his job. When you got more experience on SC, you will use one or other depends on your needs.
            /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
            Some Customers opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
              Regarding sense I'm a little bit angry with SC. I'm no programmer so I look straight forward on SC and try what is possible for me and my poor skills.
              I got upset also to Toyota, When I want the car to take me to the mall, it only takes me to my work. I don't have a drivers license, but Toyota should know I want to go to the mall.

Just kidding

Dave
              Dave Prue
              Code Whisperer
              Lahar International Corp
              www.lahar.net

Comment

Working...
              X