Running in the "cloud"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running in the "cloud"

I'm just wondering if anyone here has developed a database driven website for use in "the cloud" using Scriptcase? If so, were you able to successfully transfer it and was it able to operate both online and offline with the ability to sync the offline data automatically when reconnecting to the internet again? Just curious Thanks!

Originally posted by Lisa.C View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone here has developed a database driven website for use in "the cloud" using Scriptcase? If so, were you able to successfully transfer it and was it able to operate both online and offline with the ability to sync the offline data automatically when reconnecting to the internet again? Just curious Thanks!
    Working "in the cloud" is just fit the rquiremrtents of SC apps (php 5.4, almost all web hosting providers).
    About syncing data, its more dificult to answer. There are a lot of ways to do it. If you want automatic, If use mysql, you can configure an automatic replication, or you can create your own manual replication lib using, for example web services. Its all about what you need to do and when. I would go for second option.
    /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
    Some Customers opinions

Comment

Thank you Giu! I do use MySql. I was looking into SymmetricDS as a web service for syncing data from offline to online and back again. Not sure how it all works but I'm figuring it out. Was just wondering what others have done. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa.C View Post
        Thank you Giu! I do use MySql. I was looking into SymmetricDS as a web service for syncing data from offline to online and back again. Not sure how it all works but I'm figuring it out. Was just wondering what others have done. Thanks for the advice!
        Working offline would be a challenge since you need a local webserver and stuff. Since the SC applications are pretty huge it's not very usable for mobile to say the least...
        Albert Drent
        aducom software netherlands
        scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
        www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

You can delete many direcotories of a deployment that you dont need tho.. That would make it lots smaller. e.g. if you dont use pdf delete the pdf stuff from the deployment. And so on. That can save you up to 70% of the space.

Comment

Originally posted by aducom View Post
            Working offline would be a challenge since you need a local webserver and stuff.
            Uniform allows portable deployment on local.
            /Giuseppe

Some Customers opinions

Comment

That's true, but on your phone...
              Albert Drent

Comment

You can use KSWeb on Android. Web+Php+Mysql really cool
                Giorgio Bravi
                Dolphin Software & Thinkware
                www.dolphin.it

Comment

Originally posted by aducom View Post
                  That's true, but on your phone...
                  She didn't mention anything about phone. Just you talked about this :P
                  /Giuseppe

Some Customers opinions

Comment

I only said that it would be a challenge, especially if you would use this on mobile. That's something different Giu.
                    Albert Drent

Comment

Just saw your responses today. You're right, it is hard, very hard. Here's the scenario. I was asked to create a multi platform, browser based system for tracking many to many relational tables in a mysql database. It had to be portable so I used scriptcase and built this as a web product. Love scriptcase for this build! After building this rather large system the client said great, now we want to be able to run it offline on our tablets/phones/and/or laptops if we don't have internet access. They have multiple people with multiple machines and would like to have a full copy of the software available to them offline when needed with the ability to sync changes to the main server when connected again on whatever device they have onhand. Needless to say I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a solution that doesn't require me to have to rebuild the whole thing.

Comment

Was just looking at that app tonight! Do you use it? Is it a good app?

Comment

I would back up a bit and analyse the situation. You have already built a working application that fulfils the original and agreed upon requirements of your customer, I assume. Now, they suddenly want this application to be able to work offline and replicate data when connected. Being able to run disconnected and synchronize data is a total different order of magnitude project. I think that you have to make that clear for your customer and have them take a good long hard look at whether it is really needed or just an idea someone suddenly got that may be just a nice to have. In this day and age, internet connections are available in so many ways that it is very rare to not be connected. Make the customer understand how much additional work and costs will be involved, if they really want to go through with it.

If the customer insists, make sure that they pay for the analysis you then have to do in regards to running a web server on the phones/tablets and implementing/configuring the database replication. I foresee a lot of configuration and stability issues -- depending on how complex your application is.
                          Best regards,

Frank

Comment

I agree with orion (again), the development of a mobile App would be the best practice... theree are several "open source-ish" tools that allows you to create apps with offline functionality. I will PM the link for one of such RAD's for mobiles.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by kafecadm View Post
                              I agree with orion (again), the development of a mobile App would be the best practice... theree are several "open source-ish" tools that allows you to create apps with offline functionality. I will PM the link for one of such RAD's for mobiles.

Regards
                              Why PM and not share with all of us? I don't like you?
                              /Giuseppe

Some Customers opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X