No announcement yet.

Running in the "cloud"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol I simply don't know if the forum rules allows me to post a link to another RAD tool. >.<

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by kafecadm View Post
      lol I simply don't know if the forum rules allows me to post a link to another RAD tool. >.<
      Regards
      Go for it. If our costumers like and it lacks on our platform we can learn and improve our tool even futher
      Regards,
      Cavadinha

Development Team
      Netmake - IT Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by Cavadinha View Post
        Go for it. If our costumers like and it lacks on our platform we can learn and improve our tool even futher
        ook

This is one of the many platforms available and it's free... well... it's not amazing but it works and offers off line functionality.

http://4wsplatform.org/

this one, is a very complete solution for multi platform apps (Surface, Android, Web app, Client/Server) its kinda expensive but once you get the idea its worth

http://www.alphasoftware.com/

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Cavadinha View Post
          Good answer.

Kafe...imho, one thing is to spam others tools. In this situation you are suggesting a complementary tool for mobile. All of us have a lot to learn from others forum members and from others tool. Its a way to improve
          /Giuseppe

Professional Scriptcase Services
          Some Customers opinions

Comment

Real quick:
            I have no knowledge to add to this thread, but I find it tremendously helpful for any futur development I might be asked to do.

Originally posted by Orion View Post
            I would back up a bit and analyse the situation [ ....... ] I foresee a lot of configuration and stability issues -- depending on how complex your application is.
            In times like this, I would like the forum to have a way of rating answers as well as questions (threads)

Originally posted by kafecadm View Post
            This is one of the many platforms available and it's free [ ....... ] its kinda expensive but once you get the idea its worth
            Thanks for the recommendations

Lisa, thanks for this question!
            Best Regards

Daniel Salcedo
            • Software & Hardware developer
            • Photography enthusiast
            • Ultimate Frisbee lover

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm going to have to set my login settings to e-mail me when I get a response lol. Just saw the new posts. Love the ideas! And yes, I have talked to them extensively about the workload involved with this.

Prior to using scriptcase I wrote our web software using classic asp in an iis environment and used a microsoft access database. At that time of building software mobile apps did not exist, neither did smartphones or tablets lol. Flip around touch screen laptops had just come onto the scene and win xp was the all the rage lol. Because access databases are portable files we could simply install iis onto their laptop with a copy of the database for them to go out into the field and run "offline" (even though they were really just hosting their own server on the laptop lol). To "sync" their "offline" data when the returned to their office we set up a way for them to ftp the laptop access database to a folder on our server using fireftp. Then they would run a program we created that would integrate the data with the main database stored on our webserver. And finally use fireftp to download a freshly updated copy of that main database back to their laptop. It was easy because the database was portable. It gave us the ability to have multiple offline users working in the database at the same time as someone logged and working in the online live hosted database. Although they could only "sync" one laptop at a time, we used various hidden date and type fields in the database tables to know what files were new or edited and push those changes to the online live database. We also had code in place that would automatically override the primary keys and reassign child tables with the new primary keys issued when a duplicate primary key was found. It worked great until we started running into issues with random data loss during the ftp as the files became larger and more unstable. So I made the switch to MySql and PHP. That's when I found Scriptcase, love it!

Unfortunately the clients are not techs. They are used to doing this process already and expect the same with the new software, especially since other vendors tout offline auto sync. Ugh, I've advised them that MySql is NOT a portable database file that we can just simply copy and paste into a different folder but unfortunately they don't care. So that leaves me looking for a way to do it. I'm getting close!

Thank you guys for helping out so much. I'm currently testing an open source product called Symmetric DS. Although right now I'm using a trial version of their Pro version that has a gui interface to make life easier. The open source version is all gui code but I like interfaces for speed so I don't mind paying for it, unless it's overpriced. I have no idea how much they will charge yet. It touts that it can take the current MySql database structure I have already built and sync it to my "offline versions" to push data back and forth automatically. It also claims to be able to modify the primary key and child tables info associated with primary key changes just like what I wrote years ago. I have found that you can run a simple php/mysql server on mobile devices using various free or low cost apps from the app store to be able to host a mysql database on a mobile device. By using a mini sd card to store my scriptcase apps I can run the full sized applications locally on the device not matter what mobile device is used and it doesn't require internet access because it runs on the localhost. I haven't tried to sync it with symmetric ds yet because I haven't had the time to, but my initial trial run syncing two databases on my laptop using their software worked immediately after I installed the program with little to no modification. You have to modify it for the primary key changes and build relationships between tables and so forth but for a first basic test of can it move something automatically it worked. So it looks hopeful that they may be able to at some point have their cake and eat it too!

Hope this helps anyone looking to do the same thing I'm having to do without having to rebuilt the software in a mobile app environment

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa.C View Post
                I have found that you can run a simple php/mysql server on mobile devices using various free or low cost apps from the app store to be able to host a mysql database on a mobile device. By using a mini sd card to store my scriptcase apps I can run the full sized applications locally on the device not matter what mobile device is used and it doesn't require internet access because it runs on the localhost. I haven't tried to sync it with symmetric ds yet because I haven't had the time to, but my initial trial run syncing two databases on my laptop using their software worked immediately after I installed the program with little to no modification. You have to modify it for the primary key changes and build relationships between tables and so forth but for a first basic test of can it move something automatically it worked. So it looks hopeful that they may be able to at some point have their cake and eat it too!
                Lisa, I am definitely interested to hear how this turns out, i.e. running the SC apps on php/mysql server on a mobile device using specialized web and database server apps.
                Also your experiences with the pro edition of the synchronization software will be interesting.

Look forward to hear from you!
                Best regards,

Frank

Comment

turbophp?
                  I think java engines are more trouble then fun to develop in. Many providers dont support it or only support it at more costs.

Comment

Working...
                  X