Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Delete this record" Check box for Field (Document File Name) in Control Application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Delete this record" Check box for Field (Document File Name) in Control Application

I have a Control Application with a field of the type "File" - "Document (File Name)". When the application runs and one specifies a file to upload, the name of the selected file is shown, but also a strange check box "Delete this record" appears next to the file name.

Why is it there?
    (I thought that a control application fields specifically did not have any direct connection to records in the database).

Can I get rid of it, as it will just confuse the user?
    Best regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,
    I afraid you can't get rid of that one, you may be able to localize the language and/or remove it, but the checkbox? I suspect. Think of it as field element, user has right to remove the message if uploaded wrong document!! so even permissions don't apply on that level -yet. but for sure it is possible by digging into the source code and remove it manually, that will also require different approach to do it all the time after each application re-generation.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Okay, I don't want to go into changing the source code. I will just document it and let it be for now.
      Best regards,

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post
        Hi Mike,

I will just document it and let it be for now.
        Hi Frank, I'm just curious, what you mean you will documented? where?

Comment

Delete this record does exactly what it does.
          You just created a new record where you may or may not yet have uploaded your file. So you should be able to delete the record again. Only upon submitting will the record be saved and the uploaded file be moved to the directory from the tmp directory.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
            Hi Frank, I'm just curious, what you mean you will documented? where?
            In my own documentation for the end users I will explain that there is this check box and not to be bothered about it :-).
            Last edited by Orion; 06-18-2015, 08:04 AM.
            Best regards,

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rr View Post
              Delete this record does exactly what it does.
              You just created a new record where you may or may not yet have uploaded your file. So you should be able to delete the record again. Only upon submitting will the record be saved and the uploaded file be moved to the directory from the tmp directory.
              That does not make sense. As mentioned, I am including the upload field in a control application, which does not have any database records connected with it.
              SC's own web manual, chapter "Control Applications", "Overview":

"This application type is structured differently from form applications. It is not based on a database table, allowing the form creation using fields added manually and source validation. Common examples of this application type are the forms for login and batch processing."

Thus there should be no record to be deleted. Any value entered in the control applications form would be stored in local variables -- at least, that would be my guess.

Also, I tried actually using the check box. I thought that perhaps the file name specified would be removed, but it does not.
              Thus, I find it misleading. But, I guess that I could manually implement clearing the file name.
              Best regards,

Frank

Comment

I was too quick and have overread the Control Application....
                The delete record is I think from code that normally appears if you use this in a form application. There the delete record makes sense.
                Even tho also there there is no record yet since there is no commit yet. Delete record deletes it from the client browser (kinda).
                I agree that here the button is somewhat misplaced. But you can always remove it with some smart javascripting...

Comment

Originally posted by rr View Post
                  .... I agree that here the button is somewhat misplaced. But you can always remove it with some smart javascripting...
                  Ok, thanks for the clarification. I may delve into the JavaScript later.
                  Best regards,

Frank

Comment

Working...
                  X