select field with lookup in hierarchical table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• select field with lookup in hierarchical table

I have a control form with a field of type select. The value for the field has to come from a lookup table in the database. So far I have managed to create SQL for the selection list to show all members of the relevant table. However, the lookup table is hierarchical, i.e. every record will point to another record under which it belongs. Now, ideally the lookup function should not display just a list of possible values, but rather like a menu tree where sub nodes can be opened and displayed. It is possible to make an application displaying the hierarchical structure and linking it to a field in a control form so that it works as a lookup.

Besides using a tree structure like the menu tree, I have considered constructing a view or help table where I select a maximum depth of e.g. 6 levels and then show the each level in a separate field, or alternatively have all the levels concatenated with a dash separator into a single text field that can be shown with the build-in list of the select field.

Any experience or ideas you may have with displaying a hierarchical structure for lookup for another field is appreciated.
    Best regards,

Frank

Hi, i post a old question about that. I think it can help you.
    http://www.scriptcase.net/forum/show...ight=tree+menu

Comment

Thanks, alvagar.
      That looks like the way to go.
      Best regards,

Frank

Comment

Working...
      X