upgrade 8->8.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade 8->8.1

Because of the promissed performance enhancement I decided not to upgrade from 8.0->8.1 automatically (by performing the standard upgrade button) but to do a fresh install so that I could benefit from the new php 5.6 environment. First I made a full binary backup of the sc8.0 environment (never forget that). Then I did a full backup from SC (options -> setting -> backup). Saved that for later. Then I installed SC8.1 after downloading it. Don't forget to run as administrator if you are on a windows (2012) server as I am. It all went smoothly. Then I had to logon to SC to request for a new serial (you cannot have both versions running) and used that to register version 8.1. Next I ran a full restore.
    The process took a little time, but it went fluently without issues. SC starts faster and at first sight it does generates faster. But don't expect to see big differences. Two projects over 100 applications still took over 5 minutes to generate which is about 20% faster. Fact is that some applications seems to be generated *very* fast where others seem to last longer. It's too early to take conclusions. But for those of you who want to upgrade from php 5.4 to 5.6, the conclusion is that it is not very hard to do. Don't understand why the documentation advises otherwise:

Option 2: Manual Update.

Download the .ZIP file from ScriptCase 8.1 from our site, please click here to Download.

Remember to download the right file: Scriptcase 8.1 for PHP 5.4

Well, why do that, since you can automatically update if you want to stay with 5.4.

For now I'm regenerating all our projects then we'll have to test them. But so far so good. It looks like this is the first major upgrade without major issues so far. Not very much on the forum too. So SC, it looks like a good job to me so far.
    Albert Drent
    aducom software netherlands
    scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
    www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Albert, dear, it has been so long

Thank you very much dear for sharing your experience.

For the last few days I was waiting for someone to just confirm it is stable and can be relayed on, that performance thing overweight the risk of upgrading to find more bugs... I had updated my version from 8 to 8.1 with php 5.4 (first time automatic, found a lot of errors, then did it manually, and it worked, but still under 5.4)

Now after your post, I installed new fresh copy of 8.1 after backing up version 8.1 (php5.4) and restored to the new fresh version of php 5.6... requested a new serial, registered the new copy, so far is so good, i found my icons and other settings came automatically, this is the first time SC guys surprise me (so far seems ok)

Will keep testing it as much as the time allows.. and inform you if any issue

Comment

Albert, just after my last reply, got the same issue that the guys are getting

Fatal error: This file has expired. in C:\SC81\wwwroot\scriptcase\devel\lib\php\error.inc .php on line 0

any idea!

Comment

Can anyone confirm if a production host needs to also be on PHP5.6 if the apps were developed with 8.1 and PHP 5.6?

Comment

Originally posted by adz1111 View Post
          Can anyone confirm if a production host needs to also be on PHP5.6 if the apps were developed with 8.1 and PHP 5.6?
          No, as the result of the generated code is the same as this is not depending on the php version. So you can deploy on 5.4 (as we do). The difference between both php versions are limited but you can go to php.org to see if the changes hurt you.
          Albert Drent
          aducom software netherlands
          scriptcase partner, reseller, support and (turn-key) development
          www.scriptcase.eu / www.scriptcase.nl

Comment

Ok thanks Albert - that was the one reason I hadn't yet gone down the 5.6 path.

Comment

Working...
            X