This application is designed for creating dynamic charts based on SQL or Procedures.
Inside the Scriptcase Charts can be created also within the Grid application, however the application Chart has more settings options to the end user within the application generated. The idea is to apply the concept of Business Intelligence so the final system users can apply their own settings within the generated charts.
Settings within the development area use Drag and Drop for the charts creation. You can apply dimensions and metrics dynamically using different date periods and totals.
Dimensions are used to group the data into categories. You can choose more than one field as a dimension, each new field as a subcategory of the previous field.
To select a field, click on its name in the “Chart Fields” area and drag it to the “Dimensions” column.
Once selected the fields, you can sort them using the drag and drop to arrange the dimensions’ final display. You can choose different periods to date fields and use the same date field more than once, with different periods. All the dimensions listed in “Dimensions” can be used by the system final user within the Chart application. You can also define whether dimensions will be displayed or not when you start the application by selecting the checkbox.
Chart dimensions. Field settings
The metric is used to quantitatively view the data grouped by dimensions. Choose the fields for the chart’s metrics.
To select a field, click on its name in the “Chart Fields” area and drag it to the “Metrics” column. Once selected the fields, you can sort them using the drag and drop to arrange the metrics’ final display, you can also chose the total function according to the field data type.
All the dimensions listed in “Metrics” can be used by the system final user within the Chart application. You can also define whether metrics will be displayed or not when you start the application by selecting the checkbox.
The checked field value is used to set the default field just when you are not using a combination or stacked chart types, that use more than one field. If you choose more then one field Scriptcase automatically sets a value multiple chart type (Combination). You can change the initial chart inside the option “Charts’ type” within the “Settings”. When you check a single value (bar, line, Spline, step, Area, pie, pyramid, funnel, Radar and Gauge) you have to click and choose only one field to appear as initial value during the first generation.
You can select which chart value will be ordered to start the application, and if the sort will be “ascending” or “descending”.
- Initial sorting : Using this option you can set the default sorting (ascending or descending). The system final user will also be able to customize it within the generated application.
- Dimension : Application starts with dimension fields sorting (ascending or descending according to the “Initial sorting”).
- Metric : Application starts with metric fields sorting (ascending or descending according to the “Initial sorting”).
In the “Search” option you can choose the fields that will be used as static search on the chart, the application data will be initially filtered according to the settings you apply. The search values are chosen for each selected field during development, the final user will not be able to change that.
You are also able to apply other search options such as the Dynamic Search using the option “Search > Dynamic Search” (located on the left menu) and the “refined” search using the option “Chart > Search”. These two types are dynamic, it means that the end user will be able to manipulate them within the generated application.
In the tab “Chart” the developer sets other default options for the chart that will be generated such as chart type, color, theme and others. Find more details below.
- Chart’s type : Allows you to define the type of chart that is going to be displayed by “Default”.
- Font size : Font size of the values, if leave the field blank, the size 12 is assumed.
- Abbreviated value : Values displayed in the chart should be abbreviated.
- Display Values : Starts already displaying the values of the generated chart.
- Exception for display : Types of chart that will not display the chart values, even when marked for display. These type did not recommend that the values are displayed, for aesthetic issues, it is, however, at the discretion of the developer.
- Label orientation on the x-axis : Default width in pixels of the generated charts.
- Chart Height : Standard height in pixels of the generated charts.
- Values sorting : Sorts charts values.
- Analytic or Synthetic : Sets whether the dimensions of the chart will be raises the analytical (single series) or synthetic (multiple series) mode, i.e. If it is grouped or use the drill down.
- Grand Total : Check the Grand Total option to group all the values in one. This option is typically used in charts of the Gauge. *Range of data Groups all the values in one. This option is typically used in the Gauge type. This option will only be displayed if you set the Gauge charts to be used. You will be able to set the base value (with intervals in percentage) and the intervals (add the intervals according to your need).